LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
electron642
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Disillusioned

A couple years ago I switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu, and everything seemed to work, and never had to reboot to recover from a "freeze". But lately, there seems to be one (or more) "fix" for this or that and it seems like everytime there is a new "fix" my computer freezes more often and/or something stops working. Sometimes my printer will quit, now my computer acts like I don't even have a scanner.

I originally switched to a Linux operating system for its stability. Well, it looks like that is out the window (pun intended). Is there really a stable operating system out there somewhere?

Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: AntiX 17

Rep: Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628
Usually. A unstable linux operating system is attributed to user operating/installing errors.

But since you state it is a linux problem.

Slackware.

Edit: This after I found my 32 gig SD card was screwing up my AntiX install.
Hardware instability. Not software.

Last edited by rokytnji; 08-12-2018 at 10:45 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
ChuangTzu

Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by electron642 View Post
A couple years ago I switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu, and everything seemed to work, and never had to reboot to recover from a "freeze". But lately, there seems to be one (or more) "fix" for this or that and it seems like everytime there is a new "fix" my computer freezes more often and/or something stops working. Sometimes my printer will quit, now my computer acts like I don't even have a scanner.

I originally switched to a Linux operating system for its stability. Well, it looks like that is out the window (pun intended). Is there really a stable operating system out there somewhere?

What version of Ubuntu?

What specific, fix this, fix that are you seeing/getting?

Code:
apt install inxi
then post the output of:
Code:
inxi -F -r
With your post lacking any details it is difficult to tell if you are sincere or just trolling.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
MattRW
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu, redhat, fedora

What version of Ubuntu are you using? I have been on 16.04 and a few "fixes" were broken but they have been fixed quickly.

I want to upgrade to 18.04.1 but curious if that is stable.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
snowpine

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Welcome to the forums!

I think your only problem is that you didn't come here sooner, to ask our advice before you did all these "fixes." Imagine you have a problem with your car. If you fix it yourself, following advice from random internet websites, you'll get low-quality repairs, and your car will become less reliable. If you bring your car to an expert with the right tools, you'll get high-quality repairs, and your car will become more reliable.

You mention that your Ubuntu system used to work reliably, but then "something happened" after which it became less reliable. If you can remember back in time and give us a detailed description of that "something" then maybe we can recommend a high-quality repair or diagnostic. For example, if you are having problems with your scanner, tell us the brand and model of the scanner. We're not mind-readers.

Or, if you don't remember the details, and you just want to back up everything and start over fresh, we can talk you through that, too.

Four general words of advice for how to achieve a stable and reliable Ubuntu operating system, in my experience:

1. "Long Term Support" (LTS) releases are generally the most reliable. The current LTS release is 18.04, before that was 16.04.

2. Keep your software sources clean. Avoid PPA's and 3rd party repositories, unless you are confident you know exactly what you are doing.

3. Follow instructions and tutorials from reliable sources, like the Ubuntu wiki, AskUbuntu, or trusted users at LinuxQuestions. Don't randomly google how-to's from some guy's blog!

4. Choose modern, reliable, well-maintained, Linux-compatible hardware.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
electron642
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Disillusioned

I'm running 16.04 LTS, and I'm using the Ubuntu Software Updater that installed with it. I am automatically notified of available updates, and only install them right after I have done a disc image. I started doing the updates only at that time right after one of their "fixes" left me with a system that wouldn't show the pointer when moving my mouse.

My printer/scanner is a Samsung SCX-4623F. It worked just fine for at least the first year after switching to Ubuntu. I don't use the scanner function very often, so I don't really know when it quit working.

The novelty of a computer of my own wore off about 25 years ago, and now it is just another tool--not a project to occupy my time. I was once in the computer design business, and so have a very low tolerance to the incompetency that is so prevalent in the software business today.

I'm sorry if I sound frustrated, but like I said, "A computer is just another tool." I generally buy good tools, and expect them to work as claimed. If a tool doesn't function as claimed, I get rid of it and get something that does.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
jlinkels
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian /Jessie/Stretch/Sid, Linux Mint DE

Rep: Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991
Quote:
Ubuntu is not the most stable system known to mankind. If you want stability, use Debian Stable. My Debian servers routinely have uptimes of 2-3 years if there is no power failure. I think I reboot my heavily used desktop every 3 months or so.

Don't rule out hardware problems. An OS does not become instable overnight.

jlinkels

Last edited by jlinkels; 08-12-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #8
ChuangTzu

Rep: Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723Reputation: 723
If you want stable use Slackware, Salix, Debian stable, CentOS etc... Ubuntu can be flaky at times.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #9
snowpine

Rep: Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242Reputation: 1242
Quote:
My printer/scanner is a Samsung SCX-4623F. It worked just fine for at least the first year after switching to Ubuntu. I don't use the scanner function very often, so I don't really know when it quit working.
I'm not very familiar with using Samsung printers in Linux. I googled your printer model and saw that Samsung released it in 2004, and that it does not generally work out-of-the-box with most Linux distros, does that sound accurate? Could it simply be that your 14-year-old printer is starting to get old and become less reliable? If you are in the market for a new printer/scanner, I'd recommend checking out HP brand. Generally they have excellent Linux support.

What about the rest of your hardware? Is your computer also 10+ years old?

@ChuangTzu asked you a couple of questions, your answers to which will help us better assist you.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #10
electron642
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ubuntu doesn't even see my scanner at this time. It seems to think there is some kind of Xerox attached. Never had anything but this Samsung since I have had this computer. And, like I said, when I first switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu, the Samsung ran just fine (including the scanner function).

My computer here in my workshop is an HP laptop: Intel® Core™ i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz × 4, 64 bit, with a terabyte HDD (setup for dual boot, Windows 10 or Ubuntu), and 6 GB of memory. It originally came with Windows 10, but the original HDD died after two years, and I lost all installed programs, email address book, and browser bookmarks when the drive died. I decided to go to a Linux operating system to make disc image backups more straight forward so I would never again loose my address book & bookmarks. Sure, I was doing backups before, but I found out the hard way that doing data backups is not sufficient.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #11
snowpine

What I would do in your shoes is,

1. Create a bootable Live USB of Ubuntu 18.04 (the current Long Term Support).
2. Boot into "Live" mode (try without installing).
3. Install Samsung drivers (if necessary).
4. Test whether or not your scanner is recognized.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #12
electron642
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, it probably won't happen today. Maybe I can get to it by the end of the week.

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #13
ChuangTzu

Quote:
Ubuntu doesn't even see my scanner at this time. It seems to think there is some kind of Xerox attached. Never had anything but this Samsung since I have had this computer. And, like I said, when I first switched from Windows 10 to Ubuntu, the Samsung ran just fine (including the scanner function).

My computer here in my workshop is an HP laptop: Intel® Core™ i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz × 4, 64 bit, with a terabyte HDD (setup for dual boot, Windows 10 or Ubuntu), and 6 GB of memory. It originally came with Windows 10, but the original HDD died after two years, and I lost all installed programs, email address book, and browser bookmarks when the drive died. I decided to go to a Linux operating system to make disc image backups more straight forward so I would never again loose my address book & bookmarks. Sure, I was doing backups before, but I found out the hard way that doing data backups is not sufficient.
Quote:
electron642 Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, it probably won't happen today. Maybe I can get to it by the end of the week.
Starting to seem more like a rant/trolling rather then a request for help.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #14
MattRW
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu, redhat, fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Starting to seem more like a rant/trolling rather then a request for help.
not to me - I get it. I was ad-hoc Unix SA for decades . I'm done now. Just want things working.