LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
AppleToLinux
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help!! Problems With iMac G5 and Lubuntu 16.04 LTS

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I am new to linux as well. Here is what happened with my iMac G5 PPC:

I have a 2004-2006 iMac G5 with a PPC processor. I had it running on Mac OS X 10.5.8 for a while until it reported a fatal error saying the hard drive failed. Earlier before that i noticed the symptoms like when I left it on sleep mode, it wouldn't wake up so I had to shut it down and restart it. later I opened disk utility to make sure everything was all right. That's when it said in red letters: 'your hard drive has reported a fatal error. please back up your files as soon as possible.' And then it never booted Mac OS X again. I decided to try running Linux on it after it's hard drive got replaced. First I tried Ubuntu MATE and then I tried Xubuntu and then Lubuntu. I found out Lubuntu was the right fit for me. It seemed quite slow, though it was an old computer. Then I found out the real problem why it was slow: When I was trying out my 101 Linux distros I didn't notice that I forgot to untick the box saying to 'make a partition between operating systems.' I found out I had a lot of partitions with all my operating systems so I deleted them all and left only the ones I needed. Later after that when I shut it down one time, it wouldn't boot again. When I tried to boot it, it would ask me to press L for linux like any other time then it would say it was booting linux. Then it said 'Please wait, loading kernel…' like normal but it never loaded. It would just sit there saying that and then it's fans would rev up to full speed. That's all it would do. If anybody knows what this means or how to fix this, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!
Nikolai.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
AppleToLinux
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Do Not Reply

Sorry! This is an accidental duplicate post. Please do not reply.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
Thread has been closed

Closed Thread