LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
taylorkh

Distribution: CentOS 6, CentOS 7 (with Mate), Ubuntu 16.04 Mate

Rep: Reputation: 125Reputation: 125
sendmail - a basic conceptual question...

The ultimate objective is to get messages from yum-chron (automatic updates on CentOS 7) on my several machines to ME. The program will, according to the documentation, send these messages by email. I am NOT running an email server on my LAN and do not want to run my own email server.

Reading about the sendmail program it is not clear to me if I must:

1 - be running an email server or
2 - connect to an external (commercial) email server

in order to send email using the sendmail program to an external email address. Would someone be kind enough to clarify this for me before I go too far down this road.

TIA,

Ken

Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
pan64
LQ Guru

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320
I do not really understand your question. sendmail is a client program and it needs a server to connect to or to work with. But it is valid for all the mail clients.
So yes, you either need to run your own server or connect to an existing one.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thank you pan64,

That is what I thought. I have read many pages about how to setup and configure sendmail. They ASSUME that an email server is already running on the computer in question or on the local domain and thus they gloss over the topic. It sure seemed that something was missing in my environment and you have confirmed it.

My experience in sending email from the command line or from scripts is limited to Windows - MANY years ago. I had a program called "blat" which allowed me to store the email login credentials encrypted in the registry and thus to authenticate on an external server to send my messages. Similar to what sendmail does I guess. However, the email service I currently use, ProtonMail, uses a complex encrypted interface so that figuring out how to send a message via them is not practicable.

I guess I will have to explore the "emit to stdout" option in yum-chron.

Thanks again,

Ken

Old 08-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
pan64
LQ Guru

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320Reputation: 3320
https://protonmail.com/bridge/install
https://protonmail.uservoice.com/for...idge-for-linux

Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
I do not really understand your question. sendmail is a client program and it needs a server to connect to or to work with. But it is valid for all the mail clients.
So yes, you either need to run your own server or connect to an existing one.
I don't know or use sendmail, but I was under the impression that it was both a client (MUA) and a server (MTA), depending upon how it is configured.

Not arguing with you, just seeking clarification. I'd agree that some MUA needs to be running to send mail out.

When I need to have a server mail something, I use mail/mailx from the command line or in a script...oh!, but I have an MTA running (qmail), so that probably doesn't apply...

Old 08-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thanks again pan64,

I have been beta testing the bridge for Linux since I got my hands on it a few months ago. I have my paid account connected to Thunderbird with the bridge and it seeks to work quite well except for forwarded attachments. I have a dedicated virtual machine (CentOS 7.5 on VMWare) which I use to access ProtonMail. Bridge/Thunderbird and dedicated Firefox profiles for a couple of "free" accounts from back in ProtonMail beta days.

I have 6 physical machines and at least 3 virtual machine upon which I wish to install yum-chron. I really don't want bridge running all over the place just to send an occasional message that some updates were downloaded or installed.

I wish CentOS 7 had a notification icon "updates are available" the way CentOS 6 does (or Ubuntu or Mint or even Windoze - I think).

Thank you again for following up.

Ken

Old 08-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thanks Sean, I think

No wonder I was confused. Perhaps I do not need a separate email server after all(?) I guess it might pay to go back and dig into the sendmail documentation some more.

Ken

Old 08-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorkh View Post
Thanks Sean, I think

No wonder I was confused. Perhaps I do not need a separate email server after all(?) I guess it might pay to go back and dig into the sendmail documentation some more.

Ken
Ken,
I was responding to pan64's first post. Again, I don't know or use sendmail...and I don't do cli/script email on a machine that doesn't have a mail server (MTA) running...so in many ways, one could wonder why I'm posting in this thread at all...

I'm getting an "Updates are available" on my CentOS 7.5 desktop running Cinnamon DE...but clicking doesn't work (probably because of the Cinnamon DE), so I just open a terminal and run yum update.

What happens on one of those servers if you send with mail from the command line?
Code:
echo "this is a test" | mail -s "Test mail" emailaddy@yourdomain.com