LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Rep: Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320
Guardian - New AI fake text generator may be too dangerous to release

I am sure that the "greyhat" SEO spambot operators who have hammered us so hard over the last decade aren't rushing to implement this.

New AI fake text generator may be too dangerous to release, say creators

Quote:
At its core, GPT2 is a text generator. The AI system is fed text, anything from a few words to a whole page, and asked to write the next few sentences based on its predictions of what should come next.
Quote:
When used to simply generate new text, GPT2 is capable of writing plausible passages that match what it is given in both style and subject.
Spamming forums in a way that's hard to recognize as spam (by, say, tailoring the text to the meta tags) is literally what "greyhat SEO" means.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
greencedar

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa & 19.3 Tricia

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
I would not be too surprised if there are individuals, or companies, or newspapers, magazines, etc..., already using "greyhat" in forums, newspaper articles, books, and any other venue.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencedar View Post
I would not be too surprised if there are individuals, or companies, or newspapers, magazines, etc..., already using "greyhat" in forums, newspaper articles, books, and any other venue.
That's called astroturfing. It's a different thing.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
greencedar

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa & 19.3 Tricia

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
dugan,

Thank you. I see your point and am glad that you pointed it out to me. I will try and be more precise in the future.

I do need to state though that I am not a fan of astroturfing either and my response would have been the same.

greencedar

Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Jan K.

Distribution: Windows 7...

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
Quote:
Feed it the opening line of George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four – “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen” – and the system recognises the vaguely futuristic tone and the novelistic style, and continues with:

I was in my car on my way to a new job in Seattle. I put the gas in, put the key in, and then I let it run. I just imagined what the day would be like. A hundred years from now. In 2045, I was a teacher in some school in a poor part of rural China. I started with Chinese history and history of science.
Yeah, sounds like typical AI to me...

Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
linux91

Distribution: (Minix), SLS, Slackware 0.99-15, Current, Qubes-OS

Rep: Reputation: 43
The entertainment industry has been doing this for ages...
It's categorically protracted, derivative screen writing.
It'll take off because script writers will not even have to cut an paste junk, they can press a button and we'll get something like Star Trek the Movie meets Star Wars the Movie meets Trantino...
All with dark and brooding sequels of sequels, of course.
And then there's tv series.