LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Fabian42
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 3
Ubuntu freezes on Schenker XMG A507-vsy

I have this laptop: https://geizhals.de/schenker-xmg-a50...-a1686447.html
When I try to install Ubuntu on it or run the live system from a USB stick, the system or installer freezes after a few seconds to minutes, only the cursor still moves.
Can I do something against that or is it a bug in Ubuntu? Can I work around it?
Also, is there more info I can provide? This post feels too short.

My motivation for installing Ubuntu is that many programs don't run properly on Debian, for example DaVinci Resolve, KDEnlive, Dolphin emulator beta, NVidia graphics driver, ...
So if someone knows a distribution other than Ubuntu that is compatible with such things, that would also be good.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Keruskerfuerst

Distribution: Manjaro KDE, Win 10

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
What version of Ubuntu are you using ?

Old 11-09-2018, 03:22 AM   #3
Fabian42
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
What version of Ubuntu are you using ?
I tried both 18.04 and 18.10, both freeze.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:48 AM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
your previous thread had one comment stating that this is a rebranded clevo laptop.
you need to do some research what clevo model that would be exactly, then you could get more and better help.
rando result from a quick search: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ussion.810950/ (it is not the exact model)

Old 11-09-2018, 05:01 AM   #5
Fabian42
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
your previous thread had one comment stating that this is a rebranded clevo laptop.
you need to do some research what clevo model that would be exactly, then you could get more and better help.
rando result from a quick search: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ussion.810950/ (it is not the exact model)
That laptop looks similar to mine, indeed. But my experiences aren't the same so far, there seem to be important differences:
- I have not experimented with the fingerprint sensor, "Userland utilities" or anything audio related other than speaker, headphones, line in and bluetooth headphones (bluetooth and USB). They all work fine, I don't know what this "SPDIF" is that the post talks about. I also didn't do anything storage related except mounting the HDD after setup (because I didn't want to format it and wasn't sure if the setup would do that) and accessing my phone via USB.
- A definite difference: Fan control works with Fn+1: Pressing once puts it into insanity mode (cooled it down from 90°C to 60°C in a minute last time I checked), pressing it again disables it shortly and gives control back to the automatic regulation.
- Keyboard backlight seems to indeed be carried over from Windows, since it's permanently on. But I've not tried turning it off while Windows was installed, so I don't know if it's just stuck on or if it remembers the Windows setting.
- Another difference: The post mentions "fixing screen brightness control". I had no problems with it, except that the F9+F10 keys with the brightness icons don't change brightness when used with Fn. But I didn't plan to use them anyway, I just rebound Ctrl+Alt+Left and Ctrl+Alt+Right to it and it works fine.
- Another difference: I didn't have to do anything extraordinary to use an external monitor, I just bought an HDMI to VGA adapter, plugged it in and it worked.

So in general it seems that I can't get reliable information about compatibility by comparing it with that other model.

From a quick Google search (google.com/search?q=schenker+xmg+a507-vsy+clevo), it seems that there is a "Clevo" model number for every or most "Schenker XMG" laptop(s). But I can't find any for my model. I don't know anything about what that means, whether those are two different companies or whether it's just something like "Sony XPeria T" vs. "LT30p", a model name and a model ID. I just went to geizhals.de, a hardware comparison website, put in my criteria that I want in a laptop and then chose the cheapest one of the ~30 remaining. That's almost it with my knowledge about hardware.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian42 View Post
From a quick Google search (google.com/search?q=schenker+xmg+a507-vsy+clevo), it seems that there is a "Clevo" model number for every or most "Schenker XMG" laptop(s). But I can't find any for my model. I don't know anything about what that means, whether those are two different companies or whether it's just something like "Sony XPeria T" vs. "LT30p", a model name and a model ID.
it's called product rebranding.
so i guess that like you said, every schenker xmg laptop corresponds to a specific clevo model.
sorry i can't be of more help.

Tags
freeze, installation, ubuntu