LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
underscoreus
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Search for multiple files at once inside a file manager/browser

Hi guys!

I am looking for a solution that will let me search for/bring up multiple files at once in a file manager/browser, preferably either nautilus or nemo.

I am running Linux mint 19.2 and have a file tagging system already in place called TMSU, with it I can tag files and use its built in command to search for files with certain tags. This search command returns an array of strings that's a relative file path to the matching files. This, however, is only within the terminal. I am looking for some way of taking this into a file manager/browser. So my thought was to find some way of searching for multiple files since I already know the exact file path to every file I am looking for, I just need a way to bring them up so I can interact with them as you would files normally in a file browser.

I have had a look at gnome search tools and they seem to fit the requirement of being able to search for multiple files at once, however the second part of interacting with files as if it was just another file browser does not seem to hold up as well so I am still looking.

Anyone here got any tips?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the read!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
allend
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware64-15.0

Rep: Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739Reputation: 2739
I have not used TMSU, but according to the webpage,
Quote:
Virtual File-System
Listing files from the command line is all very well but it is not very useful when we want to access our files from other programs, especially those with graphical interfaces. TMSU also sports a virtual file-system (VFS) that we can mount:
The usage is detailed in the graphic below the quote.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
underscoreus
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint 19.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
I have not used TMSU, but according to the webpage,

The usage is detailed in the graphic below the quote.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

While it is true that TMSU has a way to mount as a drive etc its not really what I am looking for. What TMSU does is that it creates a folder inside the mount called tags, and inside that folder is a folder for every tag and if a file has that tag it will be placed inside that folder. So its not really a search as much as it is just converting the tagging based organization system with a hierarchical system.
Other than the fact that it is alittle cluncky the main issue with this is that I would be limited to only looking for one tag at a time.

Thanks though!

Last edited by underscoreus; 10-10-2019 at 03:08 PM.