LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #16
ceantuco

Distribution: CentOS, Debian, Kali, Ubuntu, OpenSuse

Rep: Reputation: 43

See below instructions to install multimedia on CentOS 7.

https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTrick...mediaOnCentOS7

Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #17
hmazuji
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nejnej25 View Post
Anyone here uses CentOS distribution for personal desktop? Is it alright? Many people said that its not good as personal desktop but I think it can handle everyday task so why is it not good? Please share your insight. Thanks!
please feel free to share this with your friends, or post it on the centos distribution pages:

my centos review:
if ever there was a more useless operating system, this would place in the top 5. where do i post my screenshot of konqueror web browser not responding? 2. where do i post my screenshot of gpart not working 3. installing centos messed up my windows 7 operating system that will not boot now and gparted doesn't work to recover the mistake 4. centos installed to a command prompt, i had to install the gui, and even now i have to log in at the command prompt, and start the gui by startx 5.there are no media players. can and will not play music or movies 6. there is no office; no staroffice, no libreoffice, no nothing. applications that you expect to see aren't there, then before you know it, you're in the middle of cutting an pasting some abstruse command lines into a terminal with unknown probabilities for success as you hope to gain some functionality over this install and salvage this clandestine project, like a reprobate child that is doomed to failure. so i would never put down something like this without recommending a substitute. my recommendation is knoppix live. no dual boot mess. no loss of data. no overwriting boot sectors or losing partitions. what i do not like about knoppix is that it will not load to hdd and you cannot customize it to your desktop, and running from cd/dvd is a gawd awful experience (slow), and even with that, knoppix beats centos hands down

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
jsbjsb001

Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...

Rep: Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmazuji View Post
please feel free to share this with your friends, or post it on the centos distribution pages:

my centos review:
if ever there was a more useless operating system, this would place in the top 5. where do i post my screenshot of konqueror web browser not responding? 2. where do i post my screenshot of gpart not working 3. installing centos messed up my windows 7 operating system that will not boot now and gparted doesn't work to recover the mistake 4. centos installed to a command prompt, i had to install the gui, and even now i have to log in at the command prompt, and start the gui by startx 5.there are no media players. can and will not play music or movies 6. there is no office; no staroffice, no libreoffice, no nothing. applications that you expect to see aren't there, then before you know it, you're in the middle of cutting an pasting some abstruse command lines into a terminal with unknown probabilities for success as you hope to gain some functionality over this install and salvage this clandestine project, like a reprobate child that is doomed to failure. so i would never put down something like this without recommending a substitute. my recommendation is knoppix live. no dual boot mess. no loss of data. no overwriting boot sectors or losing partitions. what i do not like about knoppix is that it will not load to hdd and you cannot customize it to your desktop, and running from cd/dvd is a gawd awful experience (slow), and even with that, knoppix beats centos hands down
Then I'm so glad you did not install it for me then;

You clearly didn't pay any attention to what you where doing in it's installation program, given that you need to explicitly select a GUI, LibreOffice, etc. It's the most stable and reliable system I've ever used. Even have the latest Linux kernel version running. And no, I don't need to type "startx" to start the GUI, given I actually payed attention when I installed it in the first place.

Enjoy you're Knoppix, and I'll enjoy CentOS...

Old 06-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #19
un1x

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
centos is for servers!

for desktop , use this : https://linuxmint.com/

Old 06-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #20
jsbjsb001

Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...

Rep: Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1x View Post
centos is for servers!

It can also be used for desktops and IS also used for desktops. Would you like me to post a screenshot for you ?

And please stop dictating to people which distribution to use, it's THEIR choice, NOT yours. Learn to post properly, instead spamming the forum.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622Reputation: 622
Quote:
centos is for servers!

CentOS == RHEL...which is, arguably, the definition of Linux. CentOS is not only for servers...
That said, there may be “friendlier” or “easier” distros (but I’m using cinnamon DE on a CentOS desktop)...

Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #22
Honest Abe

Distribution: CentOS 7, OpenSUSE 15

Rep: Reputation: 122Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmazuji View Post

my centos review:
Too much hate. Probably you were absent minded while you were installing the system, and did not care for consulting the install guides. This does not make CentOS a bad distro, just makes you a lousy user. Also, there's absolutely nobody stopping you to install another browser, your choice of office software, media codecs and whatever else you want.

Granted, I won't probably rate CentOS as the best desktop distro in the world, but I have been using it since 2013 (version 6.5 if memory serves me right), and I am very happy with it.

If you have another distro which works for you, that's all fine and dandy and I wish you luck for the 'day it breaks'.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
a4z

Rep: Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739Reputation: 739
Quote:
centos is for servers!

your recommendation does not harmonize with your signature ;-)