LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
NeverOddOrEven
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
manually started X in tty1 crashes on logout from console session in tty2

Hi all -

I run debian stretch without automatically starting X. Startup leaves me at tty1. If I need to, I use startx to run fluxbox manually, usually from tty1. I can switch ttys without problems.

However, if I have X running in tty1 and a console session in tty2, logging out of the console session in tty2, to change user for instance, causes the X session in tty1 to eventually crash with errors about missing devices. What happens is this: I execute logout in tty2 and, instead of seeing a new login prompt in tty2, as I would have expected, the X session from tty1 appears on the screen. If I now press ctl alt F2, nothing happens, the X session from tty1 stays on the screen. If I press ctl alt F3, same thing. But if I press ctl alt F1, the X session crashes and I am back at a console session in tty1. At this point I can switch between ttys again.

Someone suggested I should try a different window manager, so I installed lxde. This modified my systemd services such that X now starts automatically in tty7. If I now go to tty1 and start another X session with lxde and then go to tty2 and login and logout from a console session, the X session in tty1 crashes as before, but the X session in tty7 stays unaffected.

Generally I don't want to start X automatically, mainly because I want to experiment with different window managers under X and with Wayland, and I don't want those things running simultaneously (at least in the beginning) in different ttys.

Is there something I can do to prevent my manually started X sessions from crashing when I logout from console sessions in other ttys?

Any suggestions, pointers to documentation, etc, greatly appreciated.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
mrmazda
LQ Guru

Distribution: openSUSE 24/7; Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066Reputation: 2066
Your experience is or was common. It is (or, was in older releases?) a bug, because tty1 is special. Use any of 2-6 instead to start X instead of 1. I never start X on tty1 except by mistake.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
NeverOddOrEven
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks @mrmazda - you were indeed correct. Upon further testing, I got these errors whenever tty1 was involved, either as the console session, or as the X session. All other tty pairings worked fine, which was good enough for me. Anyway, I upgraded to Debian 10 a few days ago, and I have not seen errors of the same type yet.

Tags
logout, startx, tty, x11