LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
johnmeehan

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Auto Upgrade of ndiswrapper on Slackware 14.2

I have read several posts and they seem to be devoted to other distros.

Is there a program or version of ndiswrapper in existence that automatically updates when the kernal upgrades?

I thought perhaps a slackbuild script but the latest is for vers. 12.xx

Barring an available ndiswrapper program that will auto update when I run slackpkg and the kernal upgrades is there a simple (or perhaps not so simple) series of commands I can enter from the terminal to convince the ndiswrapper currently installed to communicate with the newer kernal?

Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997Reputation: 997
You'd probably use 'kmod', and install 'ndiswrapper-kmod' package, or something with a similar name.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
johnmeehan

Original Poster
Thank you. Apparently ndiswrapper will not work with the newest kernal.

I completely reinstalled Slack then used a cable connection from another computer to access the internet for the slackpkg upgrades.

I then installed ndiswrapper and the drivers like I did originally and it did not work.

Hopefully this can be resolved with the next kernal upgrade. Surely I am not the only one who experienced the problem.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
johnmeehan

Original Poster
It appears as though my best solution is to reinstall Slack install ndiswrapper and then when I run slackpkg choose not to upgrade the kernal.

Anyone have a better idea that does not involve purchasing a new more compatible wireless card?

Old 08-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208
ndiswrapper might support dkms which can rebuild modules automatically after a new kernel is installed. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with either, but from a quick google search, it looks like it should work.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
johnmeehan

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
ndiswrapper might support dkms which can rebuild modules automatically after a new kernel is installed. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with either, but from a quick google search, it looks like it should work.
My searches for dkms (ndiswrapper-dkms) does not appear to provide any downloads that will work with slack (tar.gz)being relatively new I have no knowledge of how to change a program for say .deb to where it will work with slack.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 AM   #7
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208Reputation: 3208
There is deb2tgz which can convert a deb package into a slack package, but I've been bitten in the past when converting and have had permissions mucked up.

Most likely, if you have dkms installed, ndiswrapper will be able to pick up on it. Or you might need to manually pass some options to ndiswrapper when building. Unfortunately, my time is extremely limited right now, so I can only make suggestions without actually trying them first. If you don't have the knowledge to get it figured out, maybe some other forum member with the time and knowledge could help get things moving.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
johnmeehan

Original Poster
Thanks

Tags
ndiswrapper, slackware