LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
tauro_kpo

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 16
Question Can't scroll in virtual consoles (tty) on an ASUS VivoBook N580GD

Hello dear community of freedom lovers,

It wasn't easy to set up this computer. I opted for Debian Testing. Got WiFi, Bluetooth and touch screen working. Bumblebee/DiscreteGPU was a tough one, but I managed to get it working.

There is one thing that I haven't been able to solve so far and that is scrolling up/down in the virtual consoles (tty1-6) with the laptop's keyboard (it works fine with an external keyboard).

I tried to figure out why the usual combination doesn't work, i.e.: Shift+PgUp, and there may be some "fun" into it.

I tried reconfiguring keyboard-configuration package
# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

It doesn't make any difference what keyboard I choose, I tried:
Asus Laptop
Apple Laptop
Generic 101-key PC
Generic 105-key PC

With numlock off, PgDn shows a tilde, and PgUp enters nothing (not even a space), but the cursor blinks.
Adding Shift doesn't make any difference.

It does scroll in programs like "man"

Maybe I should create my own XkbModel or XkbLayout?

With the X environment I also get some uncomfortable behavior since I can't scroll in xterm. If I press Shift+PgUp(NumLk off) I get a 9. If I press Shift+9(NumLk on) I get "~2".
I can scroll in Konsole, but only with Shift+9(NumLk on).

For what is worth, these are some keycodes I got using showkey:

Laptop keyboard
pgup = 73
pgdown = 81
lshift = 42
rshift = 54

External KB:
pgup = 104
pgdown = 109
lshift = 42
rshift = 54

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517
does your laptop have some sort of "Fn" (=function) key, usually in a different color, that is required to access PgUp/PgDn?

Old 11-29-2018, 02:58 AM   #3
tauro_kpo

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
does your laptop have some sort of "Fn" (=function) key, usually in a different color, that is required to access PgUp/PgDn?
Yes, it does have a Fn Key, it's only useful for the "function" keys (F1-F12) to manage volume, screen brightness, etc.

I tried it with the 9/PgUp (and all the other keys) and it doesn't do anything.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517Reputation: 2517
ok.
i don't understand your OP & thread title.
this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauro_kpo View Post
There is one thing that I haven't been able to solve so far and that is scrolling up/down in the virtual consoles (tty1-6) with the laptop's keyboard (it works fine with an external keyboard).
(...)
With numlock off, PgDn shows a tilde, and PgUp enters nothing (not even a space), but the cursor blinks.
Adding Shift doesn't make any difference.
(...)
With the X environment I also get some uncomfortable behavior since I can't scroll in xterm. If I press Shift+PgUp(NumLk off) I get a 9. If I press Shift+9(NumLk on) I get "~2".
I can scroll in Konsole, but only with Shift+9(NumLk on).
suggests that your laptop keyboard has a keypad, but no dedicated PgUp/PgDn keys???
is this what your keyboard looks like?

also, faffing around with different keyboard models is likely not helping.
have you tried just choosing your language/region, and leaving the rest up to the system?

the fact that everything works fine with an external keyboard is important, but i'm not quite sure yet how.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784
On various keyboards I have... Fn + Shift + PgUp does the trick. Otherwise you might try reconfiguring the keyboard.

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Alternatively, always use an external keyboard. I have several small wireless ones, and I ensure I only buy the ones with PgUp and PgDwn keys. Or pipe whatever to less and use alternative combos ^a ^e for Home and End, and ^d to logout. Various other options like Xmodmap and xbindkeys. And xterm like things that let you use the middle mouse wheel to scroll around.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
tauro_kpo

Original Poster
Quote:
ok.
suggests that your laptop keyboard has a keypad, but no dedicated PgUp/PgDn keys???
is this what your keyboard looks like?
That's almost precisely what it looks like. It looks like this to be exact:
https://imgur.com/a/fklsn4b

Quote:
have you tried just choosing your language/region, and leaving the rest up to the system?
That's the first thing I tried, of course. But it didn't work so I tried different keyboard models to no avail. There is something wrong in the way the keyboard works or the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_7 View Post
On various keyboards I have... Fn + Shift + PgUp does the trick.
I tried it and Fn doesn't help at all, it changes nothing.

Quote:
Otherwise you might try reconfiguring the keyboard.

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
I did it, but no keyboard configuration matches these wretched PgUp/PgDn keys.
Where are the files that I would need to manually change/edit/hack so it would suit this keyboard? So I can remap the keyboard? This sounds to me like the definitive solution.

Quote:
Alternatively, always use an external keyboard. I have several small wireless ones, and I ensure I only buy the ones with PgUp and PgDwn keys. Or pipe whatever to less and use alternative combos ^a ^e for Home and End, and ^d to logout. Various other options like Xmodmap and xbindkeys. And xterm like things that let you use the middle mouse wheel to scroll around.
Yeah... I have external keyboards but I would really like to be able to scroll up and down with the built-in keyboard. I use the terminal often and it's really annoying.
Another alternative is using GNU-screen, which is what I'm doing at the moment.
xmodmap and xbindkeys may be other alternatives but they only work in X.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
ondoho
LQ Addict

Shadow_7 please have a look at the pictures of the keyboard. it's weird.

now please one more time try Shift+PgUp/PgDn
with either Fn button pressed, or NumLock activated (NumLock is like CAPS lock, it should show a little LED light somewhere when it's active.

documenting exactly which combinations you tried, show us what
Code:
xev
outputs.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #8
tauro_kpo

Original Poster
I did all the tests with xev.
There is no LED that indicates the state of Numlock, neither one that indicates the state of the CapsLock.
I understand that the NumLock is not activated when a 9 appears on screen when I press the single 9/PgUp key.

With none of these combinations I was able to scroll up and down in the bash virtual console (tty1-6) screen.
You can see there is a different behavior according to what program is used, both in X and in tty.
I was thinking that maybe I could change something in the .bashrc or something alike to be able to scroll?
Maybe I could try modifying some option or changing the virtual terminal program, (getty/agetty)?
But changing what functions each key combination do in the driver may be the final and definitive answer.

I hope all this info and tests will help in solving this, they took me some time to prepare (I hope I didn't make any errors, it was a bit confusing). It's all attached as txt and check the image because it is easier to understand.
Please tell me if more tests are needed I'll gladly do them.
Thank you all.

Info is also here https://pastebin.com/NKCM915X
Higher res image is here https://imgur.com/a/TNxA5iJ

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	info.png
Views:	7
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	29079  
Attached Files
File Type: txt info-keys.txt (6.4 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-03-2018, 02:13 AM   #9
ondoho
LQ Addict

thank you for the screenshot.
it highlights that no combination actually produces the Page Up/Down key.
if i were you i'd try to map those 2 keys to some other (hardly used) keys.
i think 'xmodmap' can do that, but i've never tried it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
tauro_kpo

Original Poster
xmodmap seems to be useful in X, but what about in the virtual console (tty)?
That's where I really need scrolling up and down and I don't have it.
Is there a software to remap the keyboard there?

I was thinking in changing the files that make the keyboard work, the layout or keymap, or the keyboard model files. The underlying mapping of the driver. Is this even possible?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #11
ondoho
LQ Addict

you really need to learn to formulate web search phrases for yourself.
i tried linux change keybinds in console, and came up with a LOT of relevant-looking results, e.g.:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/187
https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/wi...le-Keybindings
etc.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784Reputation: 784
$ showkey -a
Code:
^[[5~ 	 27 0033 0x1b
 	 91 0133 0x5b
 	 53 0065 0x35
 	126 0176 0x7e
^[[6~ 	 27 0033 0x1b
 	 91 0133 0x5b
 	 54 0066 0x36
 	126 0176 0x7e
What my keyboard says when I press Page Up and Page Down. Various window managers let you set key combos to run things. Perhaps a script to output those codes. Perhaps ^J for down and ^K for up to mirror vi(m)'s navigation keys. Decimal, Octal, Hex, for those numbers if you didn't recognize them. Not sure about doing that in a console. I tend to run X even if I'm living the terminal lifestyle. I like my custom fonts since my brain is more pattern recognition based. Plus there's less question about what character is what on those old fonts from the 4MHz days.

Tags
asus, keyboard, laptop, scroll, scroll lock