LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #31
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474

Thread hijack. I just wanna know the skin name Trihex is running in xmms in his screenshot.

Now back to the thread title.

Ghostbsd was pretty easy to install for me and my biker brain.
So I agree with Draco.

Quote:
Simple

Built on top of FreeBSD, GhostBSD provides a simple desktop-oriented operating system pre-configured with the carefully selected minimal commonly used set software required to start using it to its full potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtwk-Kp_5U
In case you like mate instead of xfce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RPzGiWamU
Pretty wordy though.

Last edited by rokytnji; 05-28-2018 at 01:22 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #32
Trihexagonal

Rep: Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
I just wanna know the skin name Trihex is running in xmms in his screenshot.
Screwed1.0

There is an xmms-skins-huge port in the FreeBSD ports tree with 680 skins for XMMS. It's a dead project in favor of XMMS2 and could disappear any time, so I have it and the skins saved in case they do. The skins are in an 81MB folder in zip files or Winamp .wzs format. I don't think anyone would mind if you had them and you're more than welcome to them. I can fix it up for you if you like.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #33
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Quote:
I can fix it up for you if you like.
Cool Beans. I crashed and burned my GhostBSD install with a poke and hope ignoramus update done by me and lost MY log in screen of all things. < The aw snap login screen is what I ended up with >

So being lost. I admitted defeat and moved on. I can handle a tar,zip,bz2 file any day. In the meantime. I'll search for

Quote:
Screwed1.0
Thanks for everything.

Edit. My xmms skins folder can handle

Code:
harry@biker:~
$ cd ~/.xmms/Skins
harry@biker:~/.xmms/Skins
$ ls
100037-Trinity.tar.gz             CrystalSVG.wsz
109934-Azenis_XMMS_0.2.tar.gz     dark_face.wsz
129663-new-wave-audacious.tar.gz  delete_your_mind.wsz
140454-NatAmp20b.wsz              Distant_Vision.wsz
142982-clearlooks_dark.tar.gz     expensivehifi.wsz
142983-shiki-bsm-simple.tar.gz    fiffasamp_v2a_blue.wsz
14588-Amp2000_V2.60.zip           flow.wsz
148896-Free_Tibet.wsz             flyingcircle2000worldedition_v5.wsz
15637-TiAmp.zip                   Fraizer_deepblue.wsz
159579-blackstar.zip              Frequency
159583-BlueIce.zip                glacial_age.wsz
159585-BlueSteel_xmms.zip         green.zip
159587-BrushedMetal_Xmms.zip      kalak_amp.wsz.crdownload
17681-XMMS-BlueStrap.tar.gz       karaskin.wsz
32733-mulders.tgz                 korea.wsz
60117-Almond_dark.wsz             Lavadacious.tgz
66158-XMMS_OSX.tar.gz             my_first_sony_2.wsz
95270-dust.wsz                    mystik_ii.wsz
Almond-black-rounded.tar.gz       natamp20.wsz
Almond-black.tar.gz               natamp20.wsz.crdownload
Almond-blue-rounded.tar.gz        nucleo_alienmind.wsz
Almond-blue.tar.gz                nucleo_nlog.wsz
Almond-gray-rounded.tar.gz        Osmosis
Almond-gray.tar.gz                Preslice_2.0.wsz
Almond-green-rounded.tar.gz       radio_fm4_skin.wsz
Almond-green.tar.gz               raydream_aquila_blue.wsz
Almond-orange-rounded.tar.gz      red_faction.wsz
Almond-orange.tar.gz              Refugee
Almond-purple-rounded.tar.gz      RefugeeRed.tgz
Almond-purple.tar.gz              rhino.wsz
Almond-red-rounded.tar.gz         rukio_virus.wsz
Almond-red.tar.gz                 scorpskin.wsz
ATER-Blue.wsz                     sharp_green.wsz
ATER-Green.wsz                    shiki-bsm-simple
ATER-InfraRed.wsz                 Skin-Alien-Assault.wsz
ATER-Red.wsz                      Skin-ALTernative.wsz
ATER-White.wsz                    Skin-Arrakis.wsz
ATER-Yellow.wsz                   Skin-Auron-Legendary-Guardian.wsz
blackdawn10.wsz                   Skin-F-2003.wsz
blended-graphite-border.tar.gz    Skin-Subway.wsz
blended-graphite.tar.gz           sonympfx3v222.wsz
blended-human-blue-border.tar.gz  supreme.wsz
blended-human-blue.tar.gz         the_tcm_radio.wsz
blended-human-bmp-skins.tar.gz    TiAmp.wsz
blended-human.tar.gz              topazamp.wsz
blended-milk-border.tar.gz        volcano_rock.wsz
blended-milk-human-border.tar.gz  water_elemental.wsz
blended-milk.tar.gz               Winamp5-XMMS
blizzard_v2.wsz                   xp_amp_blue.wsz
bmw_club_belarus.wsz              yaxamp.wsz
breeder_unit.wsz                  zeus_anova.wsz
c2k.wsz                           zeus_anoxia.wsz
component.wsz                     zeus_nano.wsz
crystalsvg.wsz
harry@biker:~/.xmms/Skins
$

Last edited by rokytnji; 05-28-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #34
Trihexagonal

Rep: Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334Reputation: 334
I can do Skins.tar.gz and will email you a link. This is the skin list and how they appear in the folder.

https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/xmms-skins-huge/

Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #35
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Thanks Trihex. PM me for my email. If you want . I can do the same with my skins and send them to you with the same way you send them to me.I already tar'd mine up.

Code:
harry@biker:~
$ cd ~/.xmms
harry@biker:~/.xmms
$ ls
config  menurc  Plugins  Skins  Skins.tar  xmms.m3u
Mine come out to about 17MB

Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #36
linuxuser7

Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ubuntu 18.04, Scientific Linux 7.5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
XMMS was my favorite player back in the day. Now, with regard to Linux at least, it looks like it is defunct. That too bad. I've been looking for it for the last couple of years but I forgot what it was called. The current crop of .mp3 players are more like music browsers with a player attached as an afterthought.

I have another question about BSD about something that just occurred to me, and I don't like the results of searches on Bing or Google. I can't find out whether there are any working versions of Skype that run on BSD. The search results date from 2009 to 2012. What about now? Skype is absolutely necessary for me, and it's a deal breaker if it won't run on BSD.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #37
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Posted 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNTFOyx0UHk

Audacious works a lot like xmms also.

Some notes for ya.

http://daemon-notes.com/articles/desktop/skype

Quote:
hey - I just wanted to say thank you very kindly for sharing these instructions. They worked fine for me (Intel graphics) and now I can Skype like there might not be a tomorrow.

Last edited by rokytnji; 05-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #38
GazL
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019Reputation: 5019
utf8 support is still severely limited in OpenBSD. Worse still, they've dropped support for ISO8859 character encodings which means that until utf8 support is complete you're essentially stuck with 7bit US-ASCII characters: which is probably fine if you're an American who wants to party like it's 1963! but it is no use for the rest of us.

It's a shame, I've always liked OpenBSD, but there always seems to be something that prevents me from using it.

Oh well, Maybe in another 3 years!

Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #39
ReaperX7
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware64-15.0 Multilib

Rep: Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097Reputation: 2097
If you want a closer to UNIX system or feel you have a lot of options outside of "just Linux".

FreeBSD and TrueOS are very well supported for a lot of hardware. Start with FreeBSD to "get your feet wet". You might also want to consider other options outside the BSD tree like OpenIndiana and Solaris. Both are well supported hardwarewise so getting a system up and running with them shouldn't be too problematic.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #40
rufwoof

Distribution: Kernel+busybox+ssh+vnc+alsa (framebuffer)

I find OpenBSD to be very simple to setup. All comes pre-configured and secure by default - and takes just minutes to install to bare metal.

I use it for both a headless family server (web pages, music/video etc. store) and as a desktop on another PC that's behind a second router (isolation from the server). OpenBSD as a desktop is OK, but not as responsive as something like Puppy Linux that runs in ram from a squashed filesystem.

Recently I've been booting a 2GB SD/MMC card installed Easy Pyro OS (sort of Puppy Linux), where X runs in a container (unshare/chroot) and firefox runs as a restricted userid within that. I then sshfs mount the OpenBSD server. The HDD of the box I boot the SD card on has OpenBSD desktop installed so I have the two boot choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	27881  

Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #41
un1x

https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream/

Quote:
TrueOS to Focus on Core Operating System

by Josh Smith | Jun 6, 2018 | Announcements | 2 comments

Edit: The TrueOS Project is NOT changing its name. There’s already a CoreOS and they’re pretty cool too! 🙂

The TrueOS Project has some big plans in the works, and we want to take a minute and share them with you. Many have come to know TrueOS as the “graphical FreeBSD” that makes things easy for newcomers to the BSDs. Today we’re announcing that TrueOS is shifting our focus a bit to become a cutting-edge operating system that keeps all of the stability that you know and love from ZFS (OpenZFS) and FreeBSD, and adds additional features to create a fresh, innovative operating system. Our goal is to create a core-centric operating system that is modular, functional, and perfect for do-it-yourselfers and advanced users alike.

TrueOS will become a downstream fork that will build on FreeBSD by integrating new software technologies like OpenRC and LibreSSL. Work has already begun which allows TrueOS to be used as a base platform for other projects, including JSON-based manifests, integrated Poudriere / pkg tools and much more. We’re planning on a six month release cycle to keep development moving and fresh, allowing us to bring you hot new features to ZFS, bhyve and related tools in a timely manner. This makes TrueOS the perfect fit to serve as the basis for building other distributions.

Some of you are probably asking yourselves “But what if I want to have a graphical desktop?” Don’t worry! We’re making sure that everyone who knows and loves the legacy desktop version of TrueOS will be able to continue using a FreeBSD-based, graphical operating system in the future. For instance, if you want to add KDE, just use sudo pkg install kde and voila! You have your new shiny desktop. Easy right? This allows us to get back to our roots of being a desktop agnostic operating system. If you want to add a new desktop environment, you get to pick the one that best suits your use.

We know that some of you will still be looking for an out-of-the-box solution similar to legacy PC-BSD and TrueOS. We’re happy to announce that Project Trident will take over graphical FreeBSD development going forward. Not much is going to change in that regard other than a new name! You’ll still have Lumina Desktop as a lightweight and feature-rich desktop environment and tons of utilities from the legacy TrueOS toolchain like sysadm and AppCafe. There will be migration paths available for those that would like to move to other FreeBSD-based distributions like Project Trident or GhostBSD.

We look forward to this new chapter for TrueOS and hope you will give the new edition a spin! Tell us what you think about the new changes by leaving us a comment. Don’t forget you can ask us questions on our Twitter and be a part of our community by joining the new TrueOS Forums when they go live in about a week. Thanks for being a loyal fan of TrueOS.

Best Regards,

Joshua

Tags
bsd, unix, userfriendly