LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
panpo
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Problems with UTF-8 characters after installing the multilib on 14.2

Hi,

I have some problems with UTF-8 characters. I have found an issue with nvi, vim and less.

With nvi, if I type a non-ascii character, the program exited with the message: "Aborted (core dumped)".

With vim, non-ascii characters are not properly rendered. For example, the "é" character is inserted as "é ", "€" as "�~B�", etc. I have the same problem with elvis.

With less, some UTF-8 are print in hex value, for exemple, "é" is printed as "<C3><A9>".

Other informations :

- I am running Slackware 14.2,
- I have commented the "export LANG=en_US" line in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh file and uncommented the "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8" line,
- when I have installed the multilib, I did it with slackpkg+ but I seleccted the wrong slackware version. I installed the multilib for -current. So I tried to remove it and, then, install the 14.2 one instead,
- I have a quick fix for those problems:

Code:
# slackpkg upgrade-all
# slackpkg upgrade multilib
# slackpkg install multilib
For now, I do not now how and when the bug comes again. Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks !

Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
RandomTroll

Rep: Reputation: 164Reputation: 164
Code:
append="vt.default_utf8=1"
in /etc/lilo.conf ? I thought this was the default.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
panpo
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you for you reply. I have already added this in my elilo.conf file. I tried to reboot without and it gave the same result. Here is what I have:

Code:
append="resume=/dev/sda2 vt.default_utf8=1"
To answer what business_kid said in my other post (cf. double post) I tried other terminals: st, xtrem and rxvt. I don't know about the "runlevel 3" however. I tried to run nvi in the TTY before doing startx and the same problem occurs.

Sorry for the other post btw! I thought the first one was not published since I get disconnected when I created it.

Last edited by panpo; 08-14-2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Just realized I made 2 threads…