LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #1
That Random Guy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why do people like Macs/Mac OS so much?

Hi,

I've never met nor talked to a Mac person, so I'm trying to figure out why people praise Mac OS so much. Granted I've never used it, I get the feeling it isn't as customizable as Linux.

What further strikes me as odd is why Mac people seem so devoted to it. Is it simply due to influence? Is it cause the UI is actually that much better and thought-out than Windows? Why?

The reason this has me stumped is 'cause in my head, I'm imagining before-times where I assume Windows was more well-adopted and taken-for than Mac was both in the Enterprise and Consumer lands.

If that is to be true, why do I keep seeing people use Macs on the tellie? It's as if to suggest that only creative people use Macs. Utter BS.

Why are people more willing to learn to use a Mac in place of a PC running Windows?

To me, these people simply get brought in by the appearance and not the actual usefulness of the product. Perhaps it's 'cause it's not Windows that they like it? Would they do the same for Linux (unlikely)?

Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
ferrari

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686
I think the OS provides a very consistent, stable environment for it's users. Far less trouble to update and operate from a day to day perspective when compared against Windows. At least that's what I've observed from friends and family who use Mac devices. I must admit it's reasonably intuitive and natural to use from a Linux user's (=me) perspective, when I do have to provide support for non-technical types.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
ferrari

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686Reputation: 686
Quote:
To me, these people simply get brought in by the appearance and not the actual usefulness of the product. Perhaps it's 'cause it's not Windows that they like it? Would they do the same for Linux (unlikely)?
Actually, I think if Linux was put in front of these same users, many would not necessarily be aware of any great difference. I think as long as the apps were available on a dock, and similar desktop eye candy was configured, it would essentially provide the same user experience. Apple helps keep that simplicity. With Linux, there generally needs to be an admin/geel type around who can help maintain the user experience. I did have to provide a temporary Linux Mint environment for a neighbour recently, when their Windows machine failed. This individual found the desktop environment very comfortable to use (primarily browsing). I have a brother who uses a laptop I gave him with openSUSE running on it. No complaints there either.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
mrmazda

Distribution: openSUSE, Debian, Knoppix, Mageia, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 594Reputation: 594Reputation: 594Reputation: 594Reputation: 594Reputation: 594
As a DOS, DesqView, OS/2 and KDE user primarily, who has dabbled with Mac and Windows, IMO, people who don't like making decisions like Mac OS because there is little choosing to be done, little more than which additional apps to add to those provided by Apple or to keep on the dock. They also like not encountering bluescreens. I liked and still like the menu and toolbar systems of Win9x and KDE 2 & 3, but not those of Mac OS or Gnome or XFCE or Cinnamon or Plasma's default or post-2000 Windows.

Macs on TV are because Apple pays big money for placement.

Edit:
Forgot to mention looks and status: they're a particularly stylish contrast to most laptops' blacks and grays. They're like a Mercedes instead of a Buick, or a Lamborghini or Ferrari instead of a Mustang or Camaro.

Last edited by mrmazda; 12-02-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: forgot a biggie :D

Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604Reputation: 3604
Back in the day, 1980's it was early Win3.1 or DOS, or mainframes. Macs had an actual desktop.

These days, they have maintained that and it couples with their mobile devices well.

Until recently, most medical and non-engineering academics used Macs, that I saw. Just my observations until recently.

Now I work at a place where there's an even mix between Macs and Windows PCs in use by software engineers.

We don't argue, a laptop is a laptop, and as opposed to the television hype, nobody claims one system is superior with the other.

More pointedly, no one has ever stepped up and used their system as an excuse as to why they couldn't perform a development activity.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571Reputation: 4571
I think ferrari put his finger on it. Most Mac users are comparing MacOS to Windows. I know one who will tell you (I'm paraphrasing here) that he finally fled the instability of Windows for Mac and hasn't looked back.

Most Mac users, like most Windows users, aren't aware of Linux.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980Reputation: 2980
"Why do people like Macs/Mac OS so much"

I don't know.

I assume that they use it in their place of business or for some reason at their home. At one time some programs only ran on mac.

I might assume they have too much money and like the look of them.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #8
fatmac

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
HYPE !!!

Anything they can do on a Mac can be done on Linux, at much less cost.

Compared to Windows machines, Macs were more reliable, especially in the graphics departments.

Rich people buy them because they can, & therefore they have a certain appeal.

They run on BSD, with Apple's Aqua as a desktop, (or they used to).

Old 12-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #9
Samsonite2010

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 107Reputation: 107
I have found across the board in all companies I have worked at (consulted at over 100), there are a few types of users and reasons. Here are the common ones I have found:

- Sales people - they want nice looking laptops to take to potential clients. It never seems to faze them that it takes ages to get it working with the projector as they empty their dongle bag out on the table.

- Software engineers who think they are cool - they waltz around with their more expensive laptop while others just work on any old laptop. Then I noticed that most of them actually develop in a Windows VM on the Mac...

- Managers who simply want to physically separate themselves from subordinates with a status symbol (i.e. the company bought me a $2k laptop because I am better than you with your $500 laptop).

Ironically, I have requested a Mac (but not getting it until next year) to replace my Dell because I absolutely detest Windows 10. I was happily using my Windows 7 machine for years, but when they "upgraded" my laptop I stopped using after having trouble and finding the experience to be a real downgrade. I am allowed to use my own Linux Desktop and choose to work from home almost all of the time so that I do not have to use the Windows laptop! But to be clear, I do not particularly like Macs (read my blog), but willing to try again due to Windows dropping the ball.

There are people who genuinely find that the Mac does what they want and consistently across generations of hardware. If they have those killer apps that work then it makes sense - there are still probably viable alternatives, but they have no cause to investigate.

It does seem that the overall majority of Mac users go for it because of the status they perceive. My mother in law is a great example - she only buys Apple stuff and when she sees any of my gadgets, she just says "but my stuff is Apple, so it is better right?". I obviously say "No. No it's not". And there is no convincing her otherwise - when she has issues with her Apple products, she says things like "but I expect it would be even worse if it was not Apple". Obviously, I reply with "I have never had that issue on my non-Apple device, but I am sure the Apple store will help you for a small fee!".

Last edited by Samsonite2010; 12-02-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
hazel

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031Reputation: 2031
I've noticed that the BBC's tech correspondent, Rory Kellan-Jones uses a Mac, but I always assumed it was because he didn't want to be seen using Windows.

A lot of it is hype and the power of the Name. Have you noticed how, whenever a new iPhone comes out (always at midnight for extra dramatic appeal), people queue round the block for it? I'm sure they already have iPhones but they have to have the new one so they can show it off on social media. And it has to be an iPhone. A Samsung with Android won't do.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Rep: Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073Reputation: 4073
Because they're comparing them to Windows.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
rnturn

Distribution: Currently: openSuSE, Raspian, Slackware. Formerly: CentOS, MacOS, Red Hat. Other: Solaris, Tru64

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Guy View Post
Hi,

I've never met nor talked to a Mac person, so I'm trying to figure out why people praise Mac OS so much. Granted I've never used it, I get the feeling it isn't as customizable as Linux.
No it's not as customizable as Linux can be, though, there are some desktop environments that I avoid on Linux because they don't have as many customizable features as I'm used to (KDE user, here). I find it fairly easy to switch back and forth between MacOS and Linux. Under the hood they are pretty similar. (I haven't used the new standard shell that MacOS rolled out but I assume one could switch that if they were so inclined.) My beef with Macs is the smaller keyboards. When I switch between the two I was spending way too much time correcting typos. An external full-sized (non-Apple) keyboard fixed that problem.

Quote:
What further strikes me as odd is why Mac people seem so devoted to it. Is it simply due to influence? Is it cause the UI is actually that much better and thought-out than Windows? Why?
Yes, it's partly the UI. Another reason is that Apple made the shrewd move to push Macs to elementary schools. People will keep using what they know as they progress through the educational system. Those people are now making decisions at their workplace. Side benefit: there are fewer employers having to deal with "Patch Tuesday" -- and the expensive software infrastructure that had to be put into place to support that activity -- as there used to be.

I've been lucky to either be working for places that a.) use Macs, b.) let me have a Linux desktop, or c.) if I'm stuck with a Windows system, I'll have administrator rights and I can install Cygwin (or a VM running a Linux distribution). Take away my multiple desktops (or activities) and we're going to have a problem.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373
Because MacOS is a very consistent platform and has integration with their phones on an unprecedented level . Not to disparage Linux at all but for a user that only knows Windows or MacOS, Linux has too many choices. Just looking at distrowatch would be overwhelming for a new user. I use Linux as my main desktop and have done so for over 20 years but use a Mac laptop for traveling and because I absolutely detest Windows.

MacOS has its idiosyncrasies for sure and I would not switch to it for my main system, mainly because it is utterly closed: the only thing you can do to it is move the dock around and change wallpaper. Other than that, it's static. For some that's good, others not so much.

I find my Debian Mate` desktop to be absolutely rock solid stable as well though so as far as that goes, I don't think MacOS has anything over Linux.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: AntiX 17

Rep: Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945Reputation: 2945
My wife. Who uses her work computer daily .

Back in the 90's .

She wanted a mac book because of graphics and street cred. So I got her one. She had it week before complaining about DRM and such.
Sold it to a truck wash owner friend who played poker on it every night.

The Windows Dell computer replaced it.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Mill J

Distribution: Void, MX, Haiku, Icaros, Puppy and many others

Rep: Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405Reputation: 405
I've never owned a Mac or any other Apple devices. However...

OSX runs in vb so I do have experience with the os. Ok finding the terminal was a breath of fresh air(compared to win), but most users don't even use that. The claim most people make is it's pretty secure. That's true but it also limits the power user drastically. Basically it tries to be "idiot proof" which some people like and some people hate, I'm one of the latter class

The stupid closed walled development system is another huge gripe for me:
In order to use this SDK, you need THIS hardware, with THESE tools. Nothing else will work. Oh and by the way, to do it right, it's gonna cost you...a lot.