LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
des_a

Rep: Reputation: 35
Help Setting Dynamic DNS Server as DNS Server

I'm trying to setup on the client end (the server end "should" be good), a DNS server. I would like to set on a DD-WRT router, a DNS server address, gotten from DNS. Initially, I want to connect to a DNS server. One of the standard ones like google public DNS. Then, I want to resolve the name of my network router on the "back end". Then I want it's IP (it's a dynamic IP), to be used as the primary DNS server.

So far, I'm having a weird error where I can't even connect manually with putting in the dynamic IP directly and pretending like it won't change. Please help!

P.S. - This was after a weird error where putting the router in the DMZ failed, even when it was correctly put in. Then that just started to work normally.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
des_a

Original Poster

So I have now tried many methods, from this:

https://blogging.dragon.org.uk/howto...q-as-dns-dhcp/

To this:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/view...de1742eba92be1

I have the DNS server opened on the back end, port 53 UDP/TCP. I'm using the public IP as the IP for the server, essentially. I cannot resolve the names I have set up even when it correctly points to the server. However, I can resolve all "public" names.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880Reputation: 5880
dnsmasq is a DHCP server as well as a DNS forwarder and also provides a LAN DNS service. The DHCP server should be configured with the correct options for DNS and gateway which is the router's LAN IP address. It isn't going to work if you are using the router's public IP address.

Post your dnsmasq.conf file and use code tags.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
des_a

Original Poster

No. Actually, I don't know how to use dnsmasq at all anyway. I don't have dnsmasq configured, I do not believe...

But here's what I've got:

On the "backend", I have a PC with Mandriva Linux 2010.1 running bind, which has been configured with webmin. This is in a network. The router shares services by NAT. There is another router, for our DSL. It puts mainrouter in the DMZ. One of the services shared by NAT is DNS (or at least I'm trying to).

Then there is the "frontend", which is a special frontend. This frontend looks like a normal home network, except with lots and lots of devices, especially media devices, as well as more than one computer. So while it looks relatively normal, it is a bit advanced... I was trying to use the public IP address of the "backend" as the local DNS of the "frontend". Except for because the backend has a dynamic ip address, I was trying to first connect to Google Public DNS, then resolve the hostname of the network, then use that value as the local DNS server. There is a zone set up in that DNS server.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
des_a

Original Poster

P.S. - This unfortunately does not work for some reason.