LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 04:41 AM   #1
dodger666
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Why you need to install Slackware

History...

The year was 1994 and I was learning how to reverse engineer windoze username/password dialogue boxes etc(read Phrack, Fravia(R.I.P.)), and wanted something more...then I discovered Slackware. Still only in it's infancy, it was everything I was looking for...I fell in love...

Now...

I have no computer qualifications whatsoever(which is the way I like it...). I still use Slackware(14.2) and I don't use windoze unless absolutely necessary.

The Point is...

1. Slackware is secure as it can be
2. Don't use windoze
3. Always question why
4. Don't use windoze
5. Use Slackware if you don't want to be spoon fed
6. Don't use windoze
7. Any Linux flavor is good, just not as good as Slackware (IMHO)
8. Don't use windoze
9. It ain't hard to install..read everything
10. Don't use windoze

Need more...look it it up...

Last edited by dodger666; 02-15-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
sevendogsbsd

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011Reputation: 1011
No thank you, been there, got a headache, lost hair. I do applaud Patrick's efforts though, especially stemming the tide of systemd. Yes, i have donated to them, because I appreciate what they are doing and there is a lot of history there.

Just to clarify my "no thank you": my failures in working with Slackware were not due to technical skill: built many a stage 1 Gentoo box, used Crux, Arch and finally dumped Linux for FreeBSD. Slackware, for whatever reason, hates me...I could literally never get xorg working with my old hardware. This is probably due to my stubbornness in not wanting to create an xorg.conf, because in this day and age, it has not been required for a very long time.

'Nuff said, I am not bashing Slackware, just expressing my frustration with it!

Old 02-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
dodger666
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Fair enough...never had a problem ...(main point is...use anything but windoze...;-))

Dunno why still a newbie(maybe need to post more...)

Last edited by dodger666; 02-15-2019 at 03:30 AM.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
Samsonite2010

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 117Reputation: 117
I literally only use my work Windoze machine for entering my timesheets each week. The software is a bit tricky to install and I don't want to even try getting it working on my nice Linux machines! Of course, the issue I face is that I fire up the Windoze machine and it has a week's worth of updates and reboots a few times...

Old 02-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

I started out with Slack, but found a better distro for me a long time ago, & I've been with it in various forms ever since.

It's a personal choice, we are lucky to have - I ditched MS back in 1999.