LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Arch
User Name
Password
Arch This Forum is for the discussion of Arch Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
krygyz
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint,,Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Cannot define partition type while partitioning

Hello. I am trying to help my friend install Arch Linux on his laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad L430), and while trying to install GRUB, we got an error. Looking at a similar problem in the Arch forums makes me think it's a problem with partitioning.

We reset the install, and there was a difference I was overlooking before: in fdisk, it will not let him define the partition type. Partition number -> First sector.

Does anyone know why it's not showing, and also if that happens to be related to our error with GRUB (grub-install --target etc...)?

Old 12-05-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
berndbausch

Distribution: Redhat/Centos, Ubuntu, Raspbian, Fedora, Alpine, Cirros, OpenSuse/SLES

Rep: Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by krygyz View Post
We reset the install, and there was a difference I was overlooking before: in fdisk, it will not let him define the partition type. Partition number -> First sector.
Is there an error message? Is the "t" command missing?
Quote:
Does anyone know why it's not showing
What is not showing?

Have you tried other partitioning tools such as parted?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
krygyz
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint,,Arch Linux

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
What is not showing?
The prompt to change the partition type is not showing. i.e., to choose whether it's primary or extended. It starts at partition number and goes right to choosing the size of the first sector.
The option is not there.

Quote:
Is there an error message? Is the "t" command missing?
There was no error message. The option is simply gone.

I will trying using parted next time, I've only been using fdisk.

Last edited by krygyz; 12-05-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408Reputation: 408
Hi krygyz,

Unless you're using the basic fdisk tools as an education process, I would lean in the direction berndbausch is suggesting and use another partitioning tool.

My go-to way of preparing a new Arch installation is to partition before running the Arch installation, using GParted from a live USB. It's not clear from your post if Arch is to be the only OS on the computer, so take the appropriate care in partitioning. Pay attention to whether the computer is BIOS based or UEFI, MBR or GPT ... etc.

Please feel free to return for further guidance.

Cheers.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820Reputation: 2820
Quote:
Does anyone know why it's not showing, and also if that happens to be related to our error with GRUB (grub-install --target etc...)?
When you provide some relevant data maybe we can help.
What was the command (in full, no ellipses), what was the message(s) received (in full, no editting), what is the current partition structure (in full, you may be getting the idea by now).
If you can't copy-paste or screengrab, take a photo and post that.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
ehartman

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 252Reputation: 252Reputation: 252
Quote:
fdisk needs to have the partition defined before it lets you (optionally) change its type
Code:
New -> Primary -> Number -> first -> last sector
will create a partition with type "Linux". Afterwards with
type (t) -> partition number -> prompt for type
you can change it i.e. to swap, fat or ntfs
But the default in fdisk is 83 (Linux), independant of the fs you will be using IN it.

The only real reasons in a pure Linux system to change it is for the EUFI or the swap partition.

1 members found this post helpful.