LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
amateurMosta
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
problem with black screen again

hi friends,
I am just a new user of Linux, but till now I didn't succede to install the graphical system on my old desktop
The pc work good with XP, so I tried Lubunto 2 times and VictorLinux 2 times, and I surrendered at the end because of the same black screen, but yesterday I installed the last version of Archlinux, following steps given in Youtube, am sure I make mistake on installing wrong graphic card which lead to black screen.
my question is: how to fix that with GRUB or linux command line??
my motherboard is PM800 with openchrome graphic card
its mentioned for PM800 by Arch to install xf86-video-openchrome
but me I installed xf86-video-intel, thinking like windows to take VGA by default
thanks for any help

=====================================================================
I didn't succeed to register in ArchForum because of their weird question:
What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha512sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?

Last edited by amateurMosta; 07-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch, AntiX, ArtiX

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurMosta View Post
hi friends,
I am just a new user of Linux, but till now I didn't succede to install the graphical system on my old desktop
The pc work good with XP, so I tried Lubunto 2 times and VictorLinux 2 times, and I surrendered at the end because of the same black screen, but yesterday I installed the last version of Archlinux, following steps given in Youtube, am sure I make mistake on installing wrong graphic card which lead to black screen.
my question is: how to fix that with GRUB or linux command line??
my motherboard is PM800 with openchrome graphic card
its mentioned for PM800 by Arch to install xf86-video-openchrome
but me I installed xf86-video-intel, thinking like windows to take VGA by default
thanks for any help

=====================================================================
I didn't succeed to register in ArchForum because of their weird question:
What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha512sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?
Hi amateurMosta - welcome to LQ.

The simplest way of correcting your problem would be to boot the Arch Linux installation medium you used to install and then chroot into your installed system and correct the installation of the display driver.

Let us know if you need detailed instructions on how to do this, but the Arch wiki has all the answers you need.

Lastly, though, although I am an Arch user myself, love the distro and have used it for 10 years now, it isn't usually the linux distro people moving over from windows begin with. It requires a higher degree of work to install and configure and assumes a certain amount of linux experience and troubleshooting talent.

Let us know, again, if you require further help with your issue - it is an easy one to correct.

Cheers.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
amateurMosta
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
Hi amateurMosta - welcome to LQ.

The simplest way of correcting your problem would be to boot the Arch Linux installation medium you used to install and then chroot into your installed system and correct the installation of the display driver.

Let us know if you need detailed instructions on how to do this, but the Arch wiki has all the answers you need.

Lastly, though, although I am an Arch user myself, love the distro and have used it for 10 years now, it isn't usually the linux distro people moving over from windows begin with. It requires a higher degree of work to install and configure and assumes a certain amount of linux experience and troubleshooting talent.

Let us know, again, if you require further help with your issue - it is an easy one to correct.

Cheers.
sorry, I wrote 2 comments yesterday, but they didn't appears
again I'll say: thanks for your reply brother, and fortunately you were an Arch master
for me, I start installing and testing ubunto in another machine , and in this PC I tried Lubunto 2 times and Victor Lunix 2 times, and both had issue with black screen, surely due to the type of my Graphic card, but Linux mint worked without problem.
back to my first post, I was recommended to use Arch by lot of people, and here you prove that it's a good choice even is hard for beginners, but I have passion to work on it this summer, so I'll not jump to other distro
for my issue again, I start booting with live CD, but when the command line appears it doesn't accept such command: pacman -S xf86-video-openchrome, since it works, as you know, with CD system files instead of hard disk system files, so the command back with files not found!!!
If doesn't bother you, can you write me all commands to replace xf86-video-intel driver?
thank you again.

Last edited by amateurMosta; 07-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
In the install menu, choose 'advanced', or something like that, and then choose 'rescue'. Follow the instructions. When it asks you, open a chroot shell in the root partition of the Arch installation. If you have only one partition, then it would probably be /dev/sda1, unless you have other OSs on the drive.

After you open the shell, type 'bash' to get a better shell. Now it's just like you're working in the installed system. Whatever commands you execute take effect on the installed system. So, then just install the missing video driver package.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch, AntiX, ArtiX

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Hi amateurMosta,

AwesomeMachine's post above pretty well describes the essential, although I don't remember there being any menu choices such as those described on the Arch install media .. If there are, you can go ahead and proceed as suggested.

If you do not find those menu entries, once you have booted the installation medium and are at the initial command prompt (the one where you began the installation ...), this is how you chroot ("change root") into your already-installed Arch system:

Mount the proper partition

As mentioned by AwesomeMachine, the system partition is probably /dev/sda1. To be sure, run the following command and look for the partition with the ext4 file system (FSTYPE column).

Code:
lsblk -f
Unless you created different partitions for /home and /boot or others, this is likely your Arch system partition. Now mount it (you can use the /mnt as a mount point):

Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
Chroot into the installed system you just mounted

Code:
arch-chroot /mnt
... you will now be at a command prompt in your installed Arch system, and should be able to uninstall the Intel display driver and install the openchrome one:

Code:
sudo pacman -Rns xf86-video-intel
.... and then :

Code:
sudo pacman -S xf86-video-openchrome

The second command will obviously only work if you are online. Therefore, before performing the chroot described above, make sure to establish an internet connection the same way you did when you installed the system. This connection will persist after you chroot into the installed Arch system.

... lastly, assuming the uninstall and install were successful:

Exit chroot / Unmount system partition / Reboot

Code:
exit

Code:
umount -R /mnt

Code:
reboot

.. again, this stuff is all in the Arch Linux wiki - an excellent resource if you plan to stay with Arch.

Let us know how you make out - Cheers !