LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
lukakatoma
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
a newbie is trying to find the most suitable distro

shalom,
i've decided to switch to linux (i've been using windows7 but it's time for new os due to win7 eol) and i've been researching.i'm kinda ignorant and i need to learn a lot. perhaps, i'll ask many questions. nevertheless, i'll research before asking.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
agillator

Distribution: Mint 19.1

That question is like asking what is better an apple or the color blue. It all depends . . . .

First, look at what you really do. Are you mostly an office suite user, a gamer, a programmer, etc., etc. What type of programs do you tend to use? Are you one who is willing to tinker, or do you want it to 'just work' out of the box?

Once you have some idea of how you will use it, go to distrowatch.com where you will find a list of 100 distributions. Start looking at the reviews to get an idea of ones that might suit you. Remember that a distribution is the Linux kernel and different assortments of files aimed at general users, scientists, teachers, . . . .

Don't hesitate to try different distributions. Many can be put on live cd/dvds so you can run them and then install if you wish. Also remember that you can have more than one distribution on a computer. You boot into one at a time, of course. Virtual machines can be of use here, too.

Places to start might be Ubuntu and variants, Fedora, Arch, Slack, and Suse. Ubuntu is pretty popular and pretty general. There are a number of distributions based on Ubuntu (Mint, for example) and are worth trying. Years ago I used Fedora. Red Hat is the commercial version of Fedora and what they make their money from. Fedora is half a generation or a generation ahead of Red Hat. If you use Fedora you are in effect testing for them. Nothing wrong with that, they are absolutely up front about it and it means you always have the most up to date, cutting edge stuff. I liked Fedora except it was a little to bleeding edged for me. Suse is another staple, made to look very similar to Windows. I am not sure, but I think it is falling out of favor a bit. If you are brand new I would stay away from Slack and Arch for a while. Both are very good and have their advantages, but both require more knowledge and more tinkering than you are probably willing to (or should) do starting out.

Having said all that and realizing you may come to a totally different conclusion, I would suggest you start with one of the Ubuntus, Mint or Fedora. Any one of them will get you up and running. Then you can see what you like and don't like. Over time you well may change distributions several times. This means backup, backup, backup!!! You don't want to lose data just because you change distros. It is also possible to put files you want to access from any distro on a separate partition and mount it when booting. Appropriate entries in the /ets/fstab file of any distro will do that.

I hope I have given you some place to start. Do check out distrowatch, though. And remember, everyone has their favourite distro and it is the best in the world, no reason for any other, at leas not until you talk to the next person.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #3
agillator

Distribution: Mint 19.1

I failed to mention something you will learn quickly if you haven't already. And this is me speaking, nothing official. In my opinion Microsoft will enable you to do the things you want to do the way you want to do them as long as they are things Bill Gates wants you to do and are doing them his way. Linux, on the other hand, allows you to do things you want to do the way you want to do them, period. This assumes you have the knowledge, are willing to learn, and will put in the effort to do so if an existing distro doesn't suit you. You are free to make changes or create your own if you wish and are willing to invest the time and effort. But don't let this frustrate you. Remember that with increased power and authority comes increased responsibility.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #4
Crippled

Distribution: MX Linux 19

MX Linux is a good one coming from Windows. Make sure you look in the MX Tweak and MX Tools when you do. You will probably want to move the panel (taskbar) to the bottom which is done the easy way in MX Tweak. Read the manual and keep in mind that in Linux many things have different names than in Windows. https://mxlinux.org/mx-linux-blog/

Old 01-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
greencedar

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver & Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Rep: Reputation: 77
Shalom and welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to your questions and participation.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM   #6
linustalman

Distribution: Debian 10 (Buster) x64

Rep: Reputation: 391Reputation: 391Reputation: 391Reputation: 391
Shalom, lukakatoma.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #7
vtel57

Distribution: Slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Welcome to the forum and to Linux!

Have a look at THIS for starters. The article is a bit out-dated, but still has some worthwhile information and links.

Luck!