LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
trewornan
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 16.04

Rep: Reputation: 16
Bspwm - failed to connect to socket

Hi,

I've been using bspwm for a while and really like it but I upgraded my Ubuntu installation from 16.04 to 18.04 and it started locking up my laptop. Literally the only thing that had any effect at all was holding in the power key until the computer did a hard power off.

So I did a re-install of a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 and that resolved the locking issue.

I then tried to install bspwm but it's not working, it starts but I can't do anything - none of he key bindings work.

I swapped to a different login terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and checked bspwm and sxhkd are both running (yes) and then tried issuing a command through bspc.

I got an error message "Failed to connect to socket". The man page says the default is /tmp/bspwm_0_0-socket and it's kept in the environment variable BSPWM_SOCKET.

/tmp/bspwm_0_0-socket exists but the 'echo $BSPWM_SOCKET' is empty, so I set it BSPWM_SOCKET='/tmp/bspwm_0_0-socket' but that didn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions?