LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 02:27 AM   #16
Turbocapitalist

Distribution: Ubuntu, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
there we go, mainstream wins again.
At 1.5%, last place, he won't even have a claim to try to influence the platform of the incumbents. The Greens and the True Finns seem to have come in a distant second and third. I'll have to read up on what their agendas of the week may be and wonder if any of those will be adopted.

About the absence of name recognition, it's sad. Linus could work from home anywhere in the world, but had enough reasons to stay abroad that he did. What's your impression? I get the idea though that nearly, but not quite, 100% of his countrymen absolutely hate computers if they have any opinion at all. That seems to have made it ripe for M$ to sweep in and displace entire IT departments and replace them with ignorant and obedient resellers. In the nearly 20 years since that happened, the remaining knowledge of computers has mostly faded with the generations. A quick, shallow web search seems to indicate that even HUT is long gone. I would ask if there are any respectable CS departments remaining at any university or "university of applied science" but maybe naming them in public would bring unnecessary heat onto them given how marginalized such knowledge would be.

Another thing about Linus is that he is in practice far more powerful than that guy who has to spend $300 million a year on reputation management because he is better known for making bad engineering acceptable. Linus' kernel, for all its warts, runs in watches, televisions and other appliances, most phones, most servers, nearly all supercomputers, chromebooks, and probably a lot of systems I've left out. Despite that, Linus is allowed to lead a mostly normal life and doesn't go everywhere in a convoy with extra decoy limos to protect him from a burned public. Yet that concrete world power has some how have to influence the politics of his father in some way.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocapitalist View Post
What's your impression? I get the idea though that nearly, but not quite, 100% of his countrymen absolutely hate computers if they have any opinion at all. That seems to have made it ripe for M$ to sweep in and displace entire IT departments and replace them with ignorant and obedient resellers.
we didn't really expect them to all start linux on their desktops?
but i do get the impression that finns listen up when they hear that a fellow countryman made some sort of global breakthrough, and solely due to that fact the linux userbase might be a little larger compared to the global average.
but it seems that when one looks back to the early days, there were many.
evrery now and then i stumble upon some nice software that has been around since the 90s and was invented & maintained by someone from finland. isn't conky's forefather torsmo from finland, too? similarly iki.fi, which i'm a proud user of.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 AM   #18
//////

Distribution: win 10 | OpenBSD 6.2 | Fedora 28 | Fedora 27 Server

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 111Reputation: 111
Quote:
evrery now and then i stumble upon some nice software that has been around since the 90s and was invented & maintained by someone from finland. isn't conky's forefather torsmo from finland, too? similarly iki.fi, which i'm a proud user of.
if i remember correctly, it is.

my favorite progs, honeypots.
cowrie honeypot is fork of kippo made by upi tamminen, iirc.

Quote:
but i do get the impression that finns listen up when they hear that a fellow countryman made some sort of global breakthrough, and solely due to that fact the linux userbase might be a little larger compared to the global average.
you are right, about 75% of my fellow workers know linux or linus by name. even tho they aren't using linux.
25% of guys i know uses linux.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #19
Turbocapitalist

Rep: Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326Reputation: 1326
Yes, Finland was at the top in the 1990s. They were ahead even of Sweden during those years. There were quite a few projects, some of which survive through to today.

Speaking of years ago, Turku and Vaasa made international news because of their FOSS plans. How well do you guys remember those plans and how M$ dealt with them? There were a few other migration projects here and there, but they kept a low profile. Not that it helped most of those that I heard of. I suppose due to its geographical location, moving from Windows would impose inconveniences to multiple global interests regarding ongoing, unofficial access to systems and their data.

Is COSS still active in any productive way there?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:14 AM   #20
//////

Original Poster
Quote:
Is COSS still active in any productive way there?
you mean them ? -> COSS Ry (Centre for Open Source Software)
linux.fi has two line web page describing them.

and here is the COSS website in english : https://coss.fi/en/projects/

Old 02-02-2018, 05:25 AM   #21
Turbocapitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
we didn't really expect them to all start linux on their desktops?
Actually, yes. With how patriotic many countries are regarding their markets, I'd rather expect it. Technically the claim can be made that "Linux" is of Finnish origin, even if Linus himself is now American and GNU came originally from MIT. There's more though. It's also a lot easier to use than Windows.

Starting with KDE 3.x, GNU/Linux on the desktop has been shown to be easier to use than Windows. Since then the gap has only increased. For a while, I introduced a lot of groups, some large some small, to GNU/Linux on the desktop. Usually it took a long time to get them to even look at it. However, after a few weeks of testing they would comment individually 1) that it was the far easier option, 2) they had avoided trying GNU/Linux because they had believed what 'everyone' around them had told them about it being difficult. Irritatingly, M$ resellers and their allies were pretty conscientious about finding these people and browbeating them back into submission. One was even threatened with legal action and ended up having to eventually move cities after winning in court. That person took it the farthest and now is a top engineer at their current company by having a large advantage over those that did not have exposure to real computing technology or methods.

Easier means more productive.

Even if, for the sake of argument, the advantages of upgrading to GNU/Linux on the desktop are short lived, the financial gains would still be significant:

https://cybersecurityventures.com/ra...017-5-billion/

https://www.scmagazine.com/breaches-...rticle/539302/

https://securityintelligence.com/kno...reach-in-2017/

Most reports about the Total Cost of Ownership for Windows and other M$ products are usually severely limited in scope and exclude most costs, such as different forms of malware and security breaches.

Even with Nokia long gone, killed by mole, there are big Finnish companies like Supercell making their money off of Android/Linux. Or in the past there was Angry Birds and, maybe, Habbo Hotel.

So it's long been a puzzle to me that it's not considered Blue and White (or however you express that) to run GNU/Linux on the desktop.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #22
//////

Original Poster
Quote:
So it's long been a puzzle to me that it's not considered Blue and White (or however you express that) to run GNU/Linux on the desktop.
couple of guys have asked me that i must be using linux bcus it is finnish, right ?
well no, i would use it even if it were russian, coding et cetera , honeypots and daily usage is "better" than using windows for those things.
even though there are things that are for windows 10, like playing STEAM counter-strike:go , the STEAM anti-hack software is windows only if i remember correctly and is the reason i use win 10 to play cs:go.