LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #1
fargris
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Typesetting pinyin tonemarks in fcitx?

I'm using fcitx to enter Chinese characters - this works fine. However, in the past, when I used SCIM, I could also write pinyin - that is, Romanized Chinese with tonemarks, which I now have a need to do again - but I can't find an input method for this in fcitx. Is this no longer possible?

It ought to be possible still - in fact, I think it is probably more important now than in the past, since an increasing number of Westerners are learning Chinese, and there have a motivation for using such a facility.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargris View Post
I'm using fcitx to enter Chinese characters - this works fine. However, in the past, when I used SCIM, I could also write pinyin - that is, Romanized Chinese with tonemarks, which I now have a need to do again - but I can't find an input method for this in fcitx. Is this no longer possible? It ought to be possible still - in fact, I think it is probably more important now than in the past, since an increasing number of Westerners are learning Chinese, and there have a motivation for using such a facility.
Not sure what distro you're using, but their own web page says it supports pinyin.
https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Fcitx

...but what I could find on SCIM indicates it hasn't been updated in some time (at least on Github), but there appears to be a recent package for Ubuntu. I don't use such things, but have heard about a package called Rime, that may do what you're after.
https://rime.im/

There may also be fcitx add-ons to allow tonal marks, such as "fcitx-m17n". Check your repositories for them.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
fargris
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks for your reply, TB0ne. I use Debian, and it does in fact have the fcitx-m17n package, in which I see a method called 'Pinyin Symbol (M17N)'. After installing it, restarting the desktop, clicking 'Enable deprecated Input method' and a final bit of experimenting, it works: wǒdedědě and so on. The package notes in Synaptic are appaling and don't mention this, and there seems to be no explanations about how to use it, but it turns out that when this method is active, and you type a vowel, it (the vowel) is highlighted - typing 1, 2, 3 or 4 then gives you the corresponding tone mark.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314
If you enable a Compose key — the Windows Menu key is a convenient choice — then you have a similar facility:
Compose - a = ā
Compose ' a = á
Compose c a = ǎ
Compose ` a = ŕ