LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
jazzo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
suddenly firefox and thunderbird are crashing

Hi, I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and all of a sudden both firefox and thunderbird crash everytime I try to open them (makes not difference whether I try from the terminal or the UI).
All I get is a crash report, nothing else.
I've done a bit of googling but I didn't really find anything useful to be honest.
Somewhere I read about running these two commands on the terminal:
Code:
$ apt-cache policy firefox
firefox:
  Installed: 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Candidate: 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Version table:
 *** 60.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     45.0.2+build1-0ubuntu1 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
I then run firefox in safe mode:
Code:
firefox -safe-mode
ANd I managed to start it up, does it mean that there is an issue with some add on? But then why would thunderbird crash too? I've also run the same command for thunderbird and managed to start it, so that's good. However when I've done that something really odd happened, my mousepad stopped working altogether...no idea what this all means but it doesn't seem too good...any idea?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: AntiX 17

Rep: Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587
Quote:
ANd I managed to start it up, does it mean that there is an issue with some add on? But then why would thunderbird crash too? I've also run the same command for thunderbird and managed to start it, so that's good. However when I've done that something really odd happened, my mousepad stopped working altogether...no idea what this all means but it doesn't seem too good...any idea?
Throw out addons and start over. By start over.

I delete my hidden firefox in my hidden .mozilla folder < view hidden files in file manager >

Delete the thunderbird. If wanting to keep them for what ever reason. Rename them firefox.old and thunderbird.old.

When you restart them. They will make new folders next to your old ones. Then you can figure out where you went wrong.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
AwesomeMachine

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844Reputation: 844
I was going to say do a reinstall. But rokytnji's solution sounds pretty good too. I only wonder if you might lose some stuff doing it that way. Perhaps he can clear that up.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #4
jazzo

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Happy to do that, however, thinking about all the problems that I currently have with Ubuntu 16.04 (this, problems getting printing drivers back, display issue) I might actually reinstall it again and see how i get on.
The problems with the add ons on firefox is odd though because I haven't installed an add on recently

Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #5
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: AntiX 17

Rep: Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587Reputation: 2587
Quote:
I then run firefox in safe mode:The problems with the add ons on firefox is odd though because I haven't installed an add on recently
Safe Mode is addons turned off and a virgin run environment. Something my suggestion covered.

Quote:
I only wonder if you might lose some stuff doing it that way. Perhaps he can clear that up.

< Edit: But I have learned going slowly but surely and checking things after editing. Making original backups before editing. Saves headaches later on. >

Quote:
problems that I currently have with Ubuntu 16.04 (this, problems getting printing drivers back, display issue) I might actually reinstall it again and see how i get on
I break stuff from time to time. Being a distro team member and alpha and beta tester.
Sometimes a re-install is just quicker and easier for me also.
I keep a data partition with things I like to keep that I can re-insert after a re-install.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by rokytnji; Yesterday at 08:20 AM.