LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
LinuxSlayer
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Share USB over Network

Long time reader, first post.
Here is my situation...

I would like to have a small computer (pi) out in my yard powered by battery/solar acting as a WIFI USB server allowing a windows or Linux client to connect to any USB device hooked up to that PI as a local device without having to install any special software on the client side besides the usual USB device drivers for each device setup on the remote pi.

So, the pi in the yard would have a webcam and an arduino hooked up to it and I would like to use them as if they were local devices on my windows computer inside my house.

I hope that is clear.

Does anyone know if this is this possible?

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893Reputation: 5893
As far as I know due to how the hardware works there has to be special software for the OS to know there are virtual USB devices "attached" to the computer.

I have no idea if this works but check out the following:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-mod...over-ip-server

One no software solution would be to create a streaming server or webserver where you could use a browser.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
devnull1993
LQ Newbie

Distribution: red hat, ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 2
What about samba over usb mounted on a dir?

http://emprex.forums-free.com/sharin...amba-t266.html

Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
lleb

Distribution: CentOS/Fedora/Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull1993 View Post
What about samba over usb mounted on a dir?

http://emprex.forums-free.com/sharin...amba-t266.html
that would only work if the USB device was fixed and never swapped out. remember the default action of Linux with USB devices is to give all devices a new name even if it is the same device just plugged in multiple times.

ex:

plug in USB device A:
system names it /dev/sdc1

plug in USB device B:
system names it /dev/sdd1

remove USB device A, then plug it back in while USB device B is still active:
system names it /dev/sde1

you are now FUBAR for automounting. just not going to happen as SAMBA, CIFS, FSTAB, autofs, etc... will all be looking for /dev/sdc1, not /dev/sde1 they are NOT the same device.