LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
tapish
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Network Firewall Application

Hello,
I am thinking to develop a network firewall application. To be specific neither I want to develop a tool (similar to iptables) which uses command line nor a web application. I want to develop a simplified GUI firewall application which can have same features as iptables.
Can anybody help me out with any document or with what approach should I start my work.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
jsbjsb001

Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Rep: Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapish View Post
Hello,
I am thinking to develop a network firewall application. To be specific neither I want to develop a tool (similar to iptables) which uses command line nor a web application. I want to develop a simplified GUI firewall application which can have same features as iptables.
Can anybody help me out with any document or with what approach should I start my work.
The purpose of this site is to help when you encounter a problem and you've tried at least a few solutions to solve the problem. It isn't really to guide you on "building software" or even a Linux distribution. A simple web search should give you some ideas on where to start. I would suggest you start there, and if you have any issues with the app you want to build, post a clear problem description in the Programming Forum.

Also, you say what you want to do, but you have not by the looks of it, made any effort towards doing it. People here expect that you have made at least some effort on you're own before posting a question here.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
tapish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
The purpose of this site is to help when you encounter a problem and you've tried at least a few solutions to solve the problem. It isn't really to guide you on "building software" or even a Linux distribution. A simple web search should give you some ideas on where to start. I would suggest you start there, and if you have any issues with the app you want to build, post a clear problem description in the Programming Forum.

Also, you say what you want to do, but you have not by the looks of it, made any effort towards doing it. People here expect that you have made at least some effort on you're own before posting a question here.
Thanks for the motivation.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
cynwulf

Rep: Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367
There was an iptables GUI front end called "firestarter" (it's long dead), you might want to download the source tarball and have a look.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
tapish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
There was an iptables GUI front end called "firestarter" (it's long dead), you might want to download the source tarball and have a look.
Thank you so much. Firestarter is quite helpful for me.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624Reputation: 3624
I'd study the replacement for iptables as well as free and commercial offerings for firewall. The term firewall may mean different things to folks. Might as well peek at FWBuilder too.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #7
tapish
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
I'd study the replacement for iptables as well as free and commercial offerings for firewall. The term firewall may mean different things to folks. Might as well peek at FWBuilder too.
Yes you are right, FwBuilder is a unique graphical firewall tool that allow user to create their own firewall. But I am building (code and GUI) my own firewall. Now I have two options weather to use python script (by using iptables) or to build different modules with the help of netfilter framework and I am working on it.

Last edited by tapish; 07-17-2018 at 04:29 AM.