LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
mralk3

Distribution: Slackware, Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464
CUPS error log - Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory

I am running Slackware64-current from Thu Jul 12 21:28:13 UTC 2018. My printer is an HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z. This printer is set up to allow access to it over wifi on my LAN. Typically I use the hp-systray plugin in Xfce to add this printer to my installation. I select "Setup Device", tick the option for "Network/Ethernet/Wireless Network (direc connection or JetDirect)", Select the printer in the list then click "Next". I run into problems when I select the submit button to "Add Printer" because nothing happens.

I checked the cups logs and I am seeing the following error in /var/log/cups/error_log at the same moment I click "Add Printer" in the dialog box:

Code:
E [13/Jul/2018:08:38:59 -0600] [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
I set up a Slackware64 14.2 virtual machine in virtualbox with my wlan0 as a bridged adapter so I could get a physical IP address to my LAN. When I add this printer everything goes as expected and I can print a test page.

To be certain this is not a firewall issue I disabled my firewall all together and I get the same results.

I checked the changelog for current and see that hplip was upgraded to 3.18.6 at Tue Jun 12 05:02:45 UTC 2018. I wasn't running current for some months and so I did not notice this problem until now. Attached are some screenshots of the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Add_Printer.png
Views:	8
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	28099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Devicy_Discovery.png
Views:	8
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	28100  

Old 07-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
mralk3

Distribution: Slackware, Debian, CentOS, FreeBSD

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464Reputation: 464
I was able to successfully add the printer through the system-config-printer application. It was added by Clicking on "Find Network Printer" in the dialog and waiting a few seconds to have the HP printer pop up in the list of options. After that everything worked as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
Code:
E [13/Jul/2018:08:38:59 -0600] [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
This seems to be an unrelated error. I still am not sure what happened with the hplip system tray plugin.

I wish there was some way to get the hp-systray working with my printer. It was great being able to see the ink/toner levels without having to open the web panel of the printer in my web browser.

Printer is working now. Marking thread as solved.