LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
ridzamnto
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
phy0 wireless lan hard blocked (YES)

I just migrated from windows and chose Mint over the other but sadly I stumbled upon a problem right after installation o.o
For some reasons that I don't know I cannot access the wifi signal. I installed Mint Cinnamon and Xcfe and have the same problem. In Cinnamon, I can't get to switch the wifi on, it always back to 0 no matter how much I clicked it. In Xcfe I enabled the wifi checkmark but can't find detect any wifi. I tried some solutions that I got from googling here and there such as:
1. sudo rfkill unblock all (doesn't work)
2. Unplugging my laptop battery and pressed the power button for more than 30 seconds (doesn't work)
3. Changing the bios setting to default (doesn't work)
4. Pressing fn+f1,f2, and f3 combo like crazy (doesn't work)
There are some other solutions that I haven't tried since it requires me to connect to a wired network but i don't have any access to it.

NB: My laptop is acer aspire 4752G

Sorry for my bad english and do ask me if my question is not clear enough

Old 08-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991
Look up your box if you have to, but tell us what your wifi is, if the following doesn't work

Try
Code:
sudo lspci |grep -i wireless
If that fails, replace the 'lspci' with 'lsusb'
That should find the wifi adapter if a kernel module is picking it up.

How old is your box? The module could need firmware, and a lot of older firmware was dumped in one of the revisions on the basis that 'nobody uses that crap anymore.' I've got news for them. . . :-P.

I installed Mint on an elderly laptop, and it lacked the firmware for the wifi. Check if you need it by grepping the logs
Code:
grep firmware /var/log/syslog*
It should show firmware loading, and firmware errors.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
ridzamnto
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It's Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter. It's my old laptop indeed ._. It's like 5-6 years old if I'm not mistaken. But my ancient >10 years old laptop can run linux mint just fine ._. I installed it with no problem. And the grep firware only gave me error with lots of red coloured "firmware", is that normal?

NB: I ever installed Kali linux with LVM encryption before (out of curiosity) could it be the problem?

Old 08-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridzamnto View Post
It's Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter. It's my old laptop indeed ._. It's like 5-6 years old if I'm not mistaken. But my ancient >10 years old laptop can run linux mint just fine ._. I installed it with no problem. And the grep firware only gave me error with lots of red coloured "firmware", is that normal?

NB: I ever installed Kali linux with LVM encryption before (out of curiosity) could it be the problem?
Yes, it is normal for the match string in responses from grep to be colored.

Kali? You should have mentioned that before. The networking is disabled by default in Kali.
See Using Kali Linux? PLEASE READ!! at the top of this forum

Last edited by scasey; 08-18-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991Reputation: 991
I think we can forget firmware. I have a Qualcom Atheros 9485 in my vintage 2012/2013 laptop, and it's fine on new kernels. But Kali is strictly for geeks, I thought - guys with an intimate knowledge of networking.