LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
alekow

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question Slackware-current kde audio settings - only "PulseAudio Sound Server" device seen in "Device preference" tab

Hi!

I have recently been testing slackware-current after years of using 14.2.
I am using two sound cards - one is a built-in realtek I use with headphones and the other is an M-Audio PCI device.
I want to be able to switch between these two automatically as I did in 14.2, i.e. when headphones are plugged in they are the default and when I unplug them the output switches automatically to the next preferred device, M-Audio in my case.
Now in kde audio settings I can't see the devices any more, only "PulseAudio Sound Server" is listed.
Please have a look at the snapshots to see what it looks like.

The question is: is it possible to revert to the old behaviour? Did anybody else experience this?

Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1_14.2_1.png
Views:	19
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	32353   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1_current_1.png
Views:	12
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	32354  

Old 01-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up

Rep: Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699Reputation: 2699
I despise Pulseaudio and this is one of the reasons, not seeing the devices, only "Pulseaudio Sound Server" (as if it actually was a sound server instead of merely an "orchestrator" of sound servers) but I suspect you may have different settings defined in some etc/Pulse conf file. Can you do a "diff" on the various control/config files?

Old 01-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
alekow

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
I have just managed to solve this. I have found this information. Even though the images are missing I thought this description may fit my case:
Quote:
If you do not see this full list, you may see simply a single PulseAudio entry like this:

[[!img phonon-pulse-working-half.png]

This generally implies that Phonon has been compiled correctly with PulseAudio support but that the KDE-specific support module for PulseAudio has not been loaded. This module (called module-device-manager) can be started manually by running the script "start-pulseaudio-kde" which should be shipped with PulseAudio since 0.9.21. This file is launched on startup via an XDG compliant .desktop file (/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop).
I have noticed the /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 run by this .desktop file has changed and this is causing the problem. It contains the test:
Code:
if [ x"$KDE_FULL_SESSION" = x"true" ]; then
        plasmaversion=`grep "X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version" $DESKTOP_SESSION.desktop | cut -d "=" -f2 | cut -d "." -f1,2 | tr -d "."`
        if [ "$plasmaversion" -lt "517" ]; then
            /usr/bin/pactl load-module module-device-manager "do_routing=1" > /dev/null
        fi
fi
which tries to read a non-existent (?) default.desktop file. That stops the modules from loading. Replacing the file with the old version from 14.2 solves the problem for me as I don't use plasma 5.