LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
VarstrayPl
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Lilypond install fails: Please install international new century schoolbook fonts

I have slackware version current between 14.2 and 15.0. (e.g. I got current before 15.0 was released, and due to various reasons, am not able to upgrade to 15.0 yet.) I'm trying to install lilypond from sbopkg. I get an error message:

ERROR: Please install required programs: International New Century Schoolbook fonts (these files do not contain Cyrillic characters: c059036l.pfb c059033l.pfb c059016l.pfb c059013l.pfb )

If I open up xfontsel, I can find A font called -urw-century schoolbook l. Checking the -r and -ru options shows that this font at least, DOES display cyrillic characters. However, "century schoolbook l" doesn't match exactly the name "new century schoolbook".

Looking into the documentation, it looks like there is a configure option '--with-ncsb-dir' which is supposed to specify the directory where this new century schoolbook font is supposed to be installed.

I have verified that the *.pfb files mentioned above are in both '/usr/share/fonts/Type1' and '/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts', but I don't know if these correspond to urw century schoolbook l or to some other font, potentially a non-international version of new century schoolbook?

I have searched high and low for "international new century schoolbook", but haven't found anything. I did manage to install a .ttf font by the name of new century schoolbook, but to no effect, and that font didn't have cyrillic characters.

I suspect that lilypond is looking for some very specific font files that are meant to be provided by an international version of ghostscript, but also searching for "ghostscript international version" has turned up nothing. And I don't want to install ghostscript from source when I already have it installed as an official package and therefore risk fucking up other things on the system.

Any Help Please!!!!

Old 04-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
shruggy

The ./configure script for Lilypond seems to have options for TeX Gyre and URW++ OTF fonts. This makes me suspect that font C059 from package urw-core35-fonts-otf can be used instead of the Ghostscript font. For more context, see this post.

Last edited by shruggy; 04-05-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
garpu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390
Which version of lilypond are you trying to install? I've got 2.20.0 installed, and I don't remember any need to install a different font. Did you use Ponce's slackbuild (it's in the SBO thread pinned here.) Century Schoolbook is installed by default. ARe you maybe missing some upgrade from 14.2 to current?

That having been said, I had to use a newer version of lilypond because 2.18 would compile but segfault during use.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:05 AM   #4
vonbiber

Distribution: slackware 14.1 64-bit, slackware 14.2 64-bit, SystemRescueCD

Rep: Reputation: 110Reputation: 110
I have built version 2.20.0 on slackware 14.2 and have been
running it without any problem.
In my configure options I used these
Code:
./configure ...
  --with-texgyre-dir=/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre
(I have texlive installed)
I also used a patch (I got from sbo): detect-fontforge.diff
As it does not contain too many lines, I paste its contents below:
Code:
diff --git a/configure b/configure
--- a/configure
+++ b/configure
@@ -9810,7 +9810,7 @@

if test -z "$_ver"; then
         ## If empty, try date [fontforge]
-        eval _ver=\"\`("$exe" --version || "$exe" -V) 2>&1 | grep '[0-9]\{6,8\}' \
+        eval _ver=\"\`("$exe" --version || "$exe" -V) 2>&1 | grep 'libfontforge [0-9]\{6,8\}' \
 	    | head -n 1 \
 	    | sed -e 's/^[^.0-9]*//' -e 's/[^.0-9]*$//'\`\"
     fi

Old 04-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
franzen

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 261Reputation: 261Reputation: 261
Here on a "current" -current, lilypond-2.22.0 builds fine with the texgyre-configure line from vonbiber, after taking the buildscript from https://github.com/Ponce/slackbuilds.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
garpu

Rep: Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390Reputation: 390
I don't think I needed to configure with gyre? I seem to recall needing to do so on 14.2, though. (Or installing more fonts.)

Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
shruggy

I guess just installing urw-core35-fonts-otf should be enough.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
ponce
LQ Guru

FWIW the latest (just pushed) version of the unofficial repository for current contains updated versions of lilypond and frescobaldi (with the added needed dependencies for both).

http://cgit.ponce.cc/slackbuilds/commit/?h=lilypond
http://cgit.ponce.cc/slackbuilds/commit/?h=frescobaldi

Last edited by ponce; 04-07-2021 at 12:47 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
franzen

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 261Reputation: 261Reputation: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
FWIW the latest (just pushed) version of the unofficial repository for current contains updated versions of lilypond and frescobaldi (with the added needed dependencies for both).
Thanks!

Quote:
REQUIRES="extractpdfmark fontforge guile1.8 t1utils tex-gyre-fonts"
t1utils and tex-gyre-fonst are both included in texlive, is this to avoid installing texlive(which i can understand as it is huge)?
On the other hand these duplicate parts of a system packages ...

Old 04-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #10
ponce
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
t1utils and tex-gyre-fonst are both included in texlive, is this to avoid installing texlive(which i can understand as it is huge)?
On the other hand these duplicate parts of a system packages ...
t1utils is removed from the current repository so that dep is just ignored (I don't remove packages added to Slackware current from the *.info files), while tex-gyre-fonts is an actual error on my part and I'll fix it, thanks for the report!

Old 04-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
VarstrayPl
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long radio silence. Everything is good and well. I was using the slackbuild from the sbopkg ncurses program. Moving over to Ponce's version cleared the issue right up. And I didn't even have to install Texlive, which is nice. Thank you all!

Now... how do I mark this as being resolved? Anyone? :Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out. Thread Tools. Nice.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:31 AM   #12
nobodino

Distribution: slackware, slackware from scratch, LFS, slackware [arm], linux Mint,Manjaro...

Rep: Reputation: 459Reputation: 459Reputation: 459Reputation: 459Reputation: 459