LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
andrew.46

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373Reputation: 373
Suggestion for UPGRADE.TXT (point 5: Fix your config files.)

I have a very small suggestion, with the upcoming Slackware 15 release, for point 5 in the file UPGRADE.TXT. This section deals with moving over config files with the '.new' extension. There is a small script suggested which copies files over and leaves a '.bak' backup behind. Just to refresh people's minds the script is as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /etc

find . -name "*.new" | while read configfile ; do
if [ ! "$configfile" = "./rc.d/rc.inet1.conf.new" \
-a ! "$configfile" = "./rc.d/rc.local.new" \
-a ! "$configfile" = "./group.new" \
-a ! "$configfile" = "./passwd.new" \
-a ! "$configfile" = "./shadow.new" ]; then
cp -a $(echo $configfile | rev | cut -f 2- -d . | rev) \
$(echo $configfile | rev | cut -f 2- -d . | rev).bak 2> /dev/null
mv --verbose $configfile $(echo $configfile | rev | cut -f 2- -d . | rev)
fi
done
There are of course some sensible exclusions there and my suggestion is that the following file could be added to these:

Code:
-a ! "$configfile" = "./rc.d/rc.modules.local.new" \
Through my own blind use of this script (great script but stupid user) I inadvertently stopped DKMS module rebuilding my NVidia driver whenever I changed kernels. Fixed on my own system with the above line (and restored from the .bak file) but perhaps this might be a useful addition?

Mind you I guess the script could exclude all files in /etc that have the suffix '.local.new'?

Last edited by andrew.46; 04-10-2021 at 01:20 AM.