LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #91
hazel

Distribution: Debian, Crux, LFS, AntiX

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179Reputation: 1179

Well that was an interesting afternoon.

I got Bob's CD burned on the second attempt. Don't know why the first one failed; maybe because I was root and wodim doesn't like that. Or perhaps it was just a bad disc. The second time around I used a new disc and worked as myself (I'm a member of the cdrom group on Debian).

I booted it up and spent a long time playing around with it. It's a nice friendly little installer, but it took me a bit of exploration to work out where the software actually comes from. Turns out I need a local repository. I will create one on my data drive where there's plenty of room; the manual on the CD is very informative on the directory structure you need. The nice thing is that I can download the actual packages needed for a skeleton Slackware (a and some of n plus links, which I assume is in ap) at a pace that suits my Internet package, then run setup again when I'm ready. The result should be quite similar to a freshly built LFS.

I'll build it on my spare partition (sda8) and get it up to full working order over a couple of months, then say goodbye to Crux and copy Slack over to sda1.

Interim thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

8 members found this post helpful.