LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
hasanatizaz

Distribution: Redhat and Debian

Rep: Reputation: 35
Server Performance - nginx & ntp

Hello everyone!
Its being a long time, hope everyone of you is doing well..

I am having some difficultly in understanding the following parameters for nginx,
Scenario (nginx is used for serving static content )

proxy_buffer_size 4k
proxy_buffers 16 32k
proxy_busy_buffers_size 64k
proxy_buffering off

I like to know if i exceed the proxy_buffer_size to lets say 128 and proxy_buffers to 4 256 does it affects nginx performance in anyway ?

if proxy_buffering is set to off, does proxy_buffers value in anyway has any affect on nginx ?

---------------
NTP related,

At times i have noticed that ntpd daemon stucks and eats away computer resources, for that i have found a solution to remove iburst and restart services, ( aggressiveness for brining in time sync slows down if ntp server does not respond ) I like to know if that solution is legit ?

Can 4 different NTP servers of different types like redhat,centos,debian,X be coupled together, the reason for coupling different ntp servers is to have better redundancy incase of either fails (not sure if this is the right approach) or is there any better approach to it ?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Honest Abe

Distribution: CentOS 7, OpenSUSE 15

Rep: Reputation: 202Reputation: 202Reputation: 202
Quote:
NTP related,
Quote:
At times i have noticed that ntpd daemon stucks and eats away computer resources, for that i have found a solution to remove iburst and restart services, ( aggressiveness for brining in time sync slows down if ntp server does not respond ) I like to know if that solution is legit ?
When your NTP server is unresponsive, the iburst mode would continue to send queries until the server responds and time synchronization starts. It send a burst of eight packets in place of the usual one for 'Unreachable Server'. So if your network is finicky, iburst mode would make ntpd to get stuck. Yes, the solution you found is something I'd do.

Quote:
Can 4 different NTP servers of different types like redhat,centos,debian,X be coupled together, the reason for coupling different ntp servers is to have better redundancy incase of either fails (not sure if this is the right approach) or is there any better approach to it ?
Different providers such as Debian/Redhat etc would just sync their NTP servers with global NTP servers serving at a high stratum level. I have no idea if they actually own stratum 0 servers (the one with an atomic clock ). Yeah, sure u can club as many ntp servers as you want, but you'll want to connect to an NTP server that is geographically closest to you. Check this out.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
hasanatizaz

Distribution: Redhat and Debian

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
When your NTP server is unresponsive, the iburst mode would continue to send queries until the server responds and time synchronization starts. It send a burst of eight packets in place of the usual one for 'Unreachable Server'. So if your network is finicky, iburst mode would make ntpd to get stuck. Yes, the solution you found is something I'd do.

Different providers such as Debian/Redhat etc would just sync their NTP servers with global NTP servers serving at a high stratum level. I have no idea if they actually own stratum 0 servers (the one with an atomic clock ). Yeah, sure u can club as many ntp servers as you want, but you'll want to connect to an NTP server that is geographically closest to you. Check this out.
Thank you for the pointers, I will surely look into it.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
Honest Abe

Distribution: CentOS 7, OpenSUSE 15

Rep: Reputation: 202Reputation: 202Reputation: 202
You're welcome. Take a look at chrony too.
See https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html