LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962
openSUSE Tumbleweed auto-mount network drives at boot

Have a smaller system with limited drive space; in this case, a mini PC that has zero room for expansion, and is only used for conference room display purposes. Not really much to be gained by upgrading this cheap little box.

In order to have access to our internal server, I've used SSHFS to mount the remote shares. Could easily be NFS, Samba or whatever, but for this example, that's what I've used. This is a two part solution:

Step One: In /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d, create a file called "netdrives" (or whatever). In it, put:
Code:
#! /bin/sh
. /etc/rc.status

case "$2" in
    up)
        /usr/local/bin/NetMount.sh
        ;;
    *)
        exit 0
        ;;
esac
Note the line bolded above; that's another script file located somewhere else, that contains your mount commands. So, when the interface comes up, it'll run this, and not before.

Step Two: Create the mount script. Can be as simple or complex as you want it; in my case, it's only several lines like this:
Code:
sudo -u user sshfs user@10.11.12.13:/some/remote/path /some/local/path -o allow_other
This will mount the shares as my 'regular' user account, allowing me full read/write.

Handy for the house, too, if you have a NAS you'd like to mount when you hook up to your home network.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
Shadowmeph

Rep: Reputation: 29
I apologize for necroing this thread I am just wondering if this would work for mounting from Raspi 3 last year I bought one and was trying to get it to mount drives that had videos on them and I never could get it to work . and of course I dont remember the OS I was using but it had Kodi which booting automatically . I ended up just boxing the raspi 3 .

Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962Reputation: 7962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I apologize for necroing this thread I am just wondering if this would work for mounting from Raspi 3 last year I bought one and was trying to get it to mount drives that had videos on them and I never could get it to work . and of course I dont remember the OS I was using but it had Kodi which booting automatically . I ended up just boxing the raspi 3 .
No idea; if it has the same folders/items mentioned here, it'd be worth a try. You could always just lowball the whole thing, create a script that runs at boot-time, with a "sleep" in it, to allow the network time to come up, or have the script check for a successful ping of something and mount the drive(s). Lots of options.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Shadowmeph

Rep: Reputation: 29
thanks for replying I will digout my raspi3 and see if I can get this up and running