LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #1
Johantonissen

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Mouse not showing on external screen with connection over RDP

Hello there!

I have have my fedora 37 (wayland/gnome) install running and am very happy with it.
I have an ipad pro 12.9 and would like to use it as a second screen.
I have configured it using this method and it all works quite good.

My problem is, whenever I move my mouse to the second screen (iPad) it disappears.
I do see that if i hover over icons they light up, but the mouse pointer is gone.
I do see a mouse pointer on the screen at the location where my mouse entered the screen but i can only move it using the touch screen of my iPad.

I figure this happens because this is usually desired when using a RDP connection, you are normally using a RDP connection to remotely connect to your workspace.

Is there maybe any option where i can override this functionality ?

I have checked the app settings (RD client) but there are no options to force this behavior.

Kind regards!

Last edited by Johantonissen; 01-14-2023 at 08:14 AM.

Old 01-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
wpeckham

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300
Interesting!

The companies I worked with received notices from Microsoft support contractors to stop using RDP over unsecured channels (isolated or VPN only then) back in 2012. I went to VNC over SSH tunnels mostly, although we had other (proprietary) solutions as well.

Our connections were to single monitor servers and using only a single monitor on our clients.

#1 I would try checking your mouse settings, there are options that make it easier to find and see.
#2 I would check your session settings, I recall RDP sessions had options related to mouse movements and location that might help.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:34 AM   #3
Johantonissen

Original Poster
Hi there thanx for the reply,
1) Unfortunately there are not options in the app, I had already checked that.
2) Where do find these settings ? I only have the basic settings but i bet there is a config file somewhere where i can see more settings ?

Last edited by Johantonissen; 01-20-2023 at 04:36 AM.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
wpeckham

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300Reputation: 2300
What RDP server are you using? What RDP client are you running?

If what you want to do is EXTEND your screen (rather than simply mirror it) then RDP is overkill. RDP remotes the entire session, or a unique session, rather than adding a screen.

I guess what I should have asked is if you can describe what you really want to accomplish. HOW do you want this to work?

Old 01-20-2023, 01:59 PM   #5
Johantonissen

Original Poster
Hi there,

What i would like to achieve is that i can use my ipad as if it where a external monitor connected over hdmi.
I have found a workaround: https://deskreen.com/lang-en#video-demos
I however prefer a method that works without a dongle if possible of course.

I will get back to you with the info about the server, i need to find out first how i can extract that info.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
wpeckham

Have you considered sidecar or articles like this one https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...n-any-computer?I have no Ipad to test with, but RDP seems a poor choice of tool for the objective.