LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
deepclutch

Distribution: Debian Testing+Sid

Rep: Reputation: 33
Post Debian testing or any derivate distro - Is it still possible to run with OpenRC or SysVinit?

Hi,
I'm not posting this to offend systemd supporters as we all know, it is the best thing happened to Linux sphere. But, for some reason, I would like to use, Debian testing with alternate init especially OpenRC or classic SysVinit.

I think that getting Gnome 3 to work without systemd is impossible now. So, what chances are there to successfully run Cinnamon or Mate or Xfce desktop environment in testing (apt pinned with sid, if needed) ? I believe that many a packages are now having libsystemd* as a dependency. So, these package will need to be blacklisted to get things to work?

Also, I know Devuan exists. It is really outdated and I hope to use a recent distro without systemd. Is it possible? Gentoo is too much trouble. Artix is another choice..But, I'm accustomed to Debian way from Debian Woody's time.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
TheEzekielProject

Distribution: Devuan+lxde

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Check out Devuan!

It's Debian without systemd

Sorry. Didn't read thoroughly before posting. But devuan has given me no issues..

How is Devuan "outdated"?

Last edited by TheEzekielProject; 08-12-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #3
deepclutch

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEzekielProject View Post
Check out Devuan!

It's Debian without systemd

Sorry. Didn't read thoroughly before posting. But devuan has given me no issues..

How is Devuan "outdated"?
When you compare to Debian testing repo, Devuan ASCII which is based on stretch has older packages. That's what I meant. The equivalent in Devuan is "Devuan Beowulf" - Do you think, it is possible to use Devuan testing as a Desktop OS?

BTW, how is your experience with Devuan? Which desktop are you using.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #4
TheEzekielProject

Distribution: Devuan+lxde

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
I have been using Devuan as my main OS for more than a year now. Running Ascii since long before it was considered stable without issue.

I haven't recently compared Devuan to Debian, so I can't comment on how much the difference in packages affects user experience.

I run lxde.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
dolphin_oracle
MX Linux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
antiX can be run with debian testing repos (there is an option to select testing at install time).

antiX maintains a "nosystemd" repo with many packages redone to remove the systemd dependency. things like network-manager and pulseaudio, and also including MATE desktop last time I checked (xfce doesn't require systemd anyway IIRC).

OOTB you get a window-manager environment but the desktops are there to be added. Like debian, you'll get vanilla offerings.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Timothy Miller

Distribution: Debian, Fedora, Arch, & KDE Neon

Rep: Reputation: 799Reputation: 799Reputation: 799Reputation: 799Reputation: 799Reputation: 799Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin_oracle View Post
antiX can be run with debian testing repos (there is an option to select testing at install time).

antiX maintains a "nosystemd" repo with many packages redone to remove the systemd dependency. things like network-manager and pulseaudio, and also including MATE desktop last time I checked (xfce doesn't require systemd anyway IIRC).

OOTB you get a window-manager environment but the desktops are there to be added. Like debian, you'll get vanilla offerings.

While it can be accomplished with "basic" Debian, I would second this recommendation. Just go with antiX.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
ChuangTzu

Distribution: Slackware/Salix, Devuan, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726Reputation: 726
Devuan or antiX since you specified Debian base.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
deepclutch

Original Poster
I tried booting MX Linux 17.1 July updated ISO using grub2. It seems really nice and interesting, and does not pack systemd. Seems like they have managed to run Cinnamon with sysVinit. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try antiX too.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 AM   #9
fatmac

Distribution: AntiX

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I've been using AntiX for many years, it's a good solid distro, MX is it's sister distro, created in conjuction with many of the same team.

I was an advocate of Devuan for a while too, but I returned to my favourite - AntiX - it just suits me best.

Tags
debian testing, openrc, runit, sysvinit, without systemd