LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro New to LinuxQuestions.org? Been a long time member but never made a post? Introduce yourself here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
glmartin@sympatico.ca
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Retired from large I/T Company and wants to Learn Linux/Ubuntu

I have been in the I/T business for over 30 years and recall that my first computer was a Tandy 1000 which did not have a hard drive. You had to boot from a floppy drive. I have seen the progression of Operating systems from DOS to Windows 10 and now want to try Open Source operating systems.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
fatmac

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Good for you, I started out with DOS too, but ditched MS in 1999, went full time Linux, best move ever.

Plenty of fun in your future, & you'll probably wonder why it took you so long.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
greencedar

Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver & Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Rep: Reputation: 82
Welcome to the world of FOSS and the LQ forum.

I think Ubuntu is a great starting place.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
sevendogsbsd

Rep: Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546Reputation: 546
Welcome to the world of real operating systems! All kidding aside, FOSS gives you the power and control, if you want it, that Microsoft could/can never give you. I am the same as many folks here: left Windows in 1998 and never looked back.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Lsatenstein

Distribution: Fedora 31and Tumbleweed) Gnome versions

Rep: Reputation: 59
I retired and started Linux learning. That was before there was ever so much useful information on the web.

A good starting point is to do a youtube search for Linux or other Linux topic. You will find a great amount (almost overwhelming information). A lot of youtube stuff is about hardware such as cpus and graphics cards. Skip that for now.

Search basic Linux / Basic Linux commands....

Enjoy