LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Games
User Name
Password
Linux - Games This forum is for all discussion relating to gaming in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 02:23 AM   #1
gregors

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
xgalaga v-e-r-y s-l-o-w

Hi there!

I felt like needing some vacuum in my head.

So I decided to play xgalaga. I've been playing that game under Debian 7, 6, 5, 4 ... not sure there was xgalaga under Debian 3.

It always worked as expected.

But now, under Debian 10, xgalaga is r-e-a-l-l-y slow. And the more aliens are on screen it is getting even slower. No matter if windowed (fullscreen doesn't work at all) or w/ w/o sound, w/ or w/o option '-b' - that one should speed up things by the cost of flicker, but the only thing changing is: It causes flicker. No speed.

What might be the problem? Where can I start hunting this bug(?)?

TIA

Gregor

Old 09-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
sgosnell

Distribution: Debian Stable and Unstable

Rep: Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427Reputation: 427
Do you have the latest version installed? Have you tried xgalaga++? Both are in the Debian repos. Beyond that, I can't help. I've never been tempted to try it.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
gregors

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Do you have the latest version installed? Have you tried xgalaga++? Both are in the Debian repos. Beyond that, I can't help. I've never been tempted to try it.
Since the XGalaga homepage (https://sourceforge.net/projects/xgalaga/) was last updated in 2013 - except for a ticket 4 years ago I assume I have the latest version (mine is version 2.1.1.0-5+b1 from the debian 10 repository). I also tried to run it as root just to check it is not a problem with privileges.

And yes, in my search for a solution of the speed problem I found xgalaga++. It runs really good. So I mark this thread solved.

Regards,

Gregor