LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #1171
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999Reputation: 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave@burn-it.co.uk View Post
You can browse the internet perfectly safely on XP and before if you want to ; and I don't remember seeing or having any restriction on YouTube (not that I use it). There aren't very many TVs that do not have VGA input available and even if they don't there are cheap converters available.
RaM and expansion cards are EASIER to find for older machines than for new ones.
If you want to do internet banking, for example, on an XP machine that's your lookout and I dare say there's a chance you do know how to be safe. However, I seriously hope you do not ever recommend that somebody who isn't an IT hobbyist or professions just go on using XP. That being my point, if you read my earlier post, that people should not need to use 15 year old machines. I'd also doubt that a 15 year old machine would cost much less than a 10 year old or even newer if being built as a donation to somebody who needs a PC.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #1172
dave@burn-it.co.uk

Distribution: Puppy

Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
I AM an It professional and I would crtainly not recommend anyone use an unprotected machine, especially Linux, to do internet banking.
I would also tell someone to use XP with an antivirus in preference to ANY unprotected OS.
People may well need to use old machines (as I do) since not many peple have the spare money to buy a new model every time one comes out. In the vast majority of cases the new one is just as likely if not more so, to be insecure on the net since the trend nowadays seems to be to share everything or put everything online.
Store all your passwords online!!
Store all your important information in our secure?? online database!!
Share everything on Facebook??

Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #1173
fatmac

Distribution: AntiX

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Re internet banking - the safest way is to use a 'live' distro.
Always allow the ram to clear if using your main machine - That is, turn off the power for at least ten seconds, before restarting it to do any more work, or internet browsing.
(If using a laptop, remove the battery for that ten seconds.)
Never keep login details on your computer for anything that needs to be secure.
If you practice the above, any old machine will be safe enough.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #1174
wpeckham

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS

Rep: Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980
It does work both ways. There are things I would not do on a machine that was unprotected and running an "obsolete" OS. There is software that is useful and powerful that will not run on any current, supported OS. For operations that require legacy software that old platform may be one you want to keep running (or recreate on 'newer' obsolete hardware) for a LONG time.

In both cases (current OS on current hardware, unsupported OS on ancient hardware) you do risk analysis and remediate the risk factors.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #1175
rvijay

Distribution: Debian HD install of Knoppix 5.0.1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 64
https://www.tecmint.com/view-colored...ges-in-linux/#

This article above is quite helpful, I would like to make my terminal have a dark background with green or blue letters. Will try this in future sometime, very nice retro feel.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #1176
rvijay

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
It does work both ways. There are things I would not do on a machine that was unprotected and running an "obsolete" OS. There is software that is useful and powerful that will not run on any current, supported OS. For operations that require legacy software that old platform may be one you want to keep running (or recreate on 'newer' obsolete hardware) for a LONG time.

In both cases (current OS on current hardware, unsupported OS on ancient hardware) you do risk analysis and remediate the risk factors.
Thanks for sharing, much appreciated this I didn't think of. Please share this in other places also where folks may appreciate it.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #1177
hazel

Distribution: Debian, Crux, LFS, AntiX, NuTyX

Rep: Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639Reputation: 639
I once read that there is a place in America where they emulate really old hardware and software, not old PCs but obsolete "prehistoric" mainframes. They get called on to read tape formats that no one else can read. But I can't remember what they call it.

Old Today, 10:36 AM   #1178
rvijay

Original Poster
Three different items in this one post.

1. I just fired up my homebuilt P3 PC and burned Legacy OS to CD. However upon reboot it gave kernel panic. So shut it down, reconnected cables to my P4 and started it, in this PC the DVD drive doesn't open, tried a few times and even put a tooth pick in that tiny hole to try and open it, it doesn't budge. So will try to test this Legacy OS cd later when this DVD drive does open. This P4 server doesn't boot from USB.

It was nice to use this P3 after a long time, the boot speed and speed with which it opens folders etc., is certainly a bit longer, however if one is patient enough then this system is still workable.

2. A net contact of mine gave away, several older computers:
http://www.landzdown.com/landzdown-l...-the-fish!/90/

3. This is a motivator to try and save old PCs for those who need and can still use them or their parts:
Reuters: Most of 2016's e-waste ended up in landfills, despite there being around
$64.61 billion in raw materials

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-en..._medium=Social

Old Today, 11:08 AM   #1179
rvijay

Original Poster
How to repair a CD/DVD drive that doesn't open:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1jB9MJXsE

Old Today, 12:03 PM   #1180
rvijay

Original Poster
I used a long paper clip wire to open the DVD drive, it opened suddenly but with some hesitation, there were like 10 dead roaches inside with lots of roach droppings on it.

Then I decided to open the case side panel, inside there was a 3 mm layer of dead roaches and roach parts. Cleaned all this.

Opened the front panel, 15 roaches came to kiss me and then went into hiding. Cleaned up dead roaches, roach droppings from here also.
Same below the PC.

Cleaned the insides with hair dryer. Lots of dust insides obviously.

Now the DVD drive kept opening and closing on connecting all cables
and boot.

I put the Legacy OS CD inside and booted, this time the DVD drive worked ok
but then gave kernel panic on this P4 server also. Rebooting PC and trying the
different boot options for Legacy OS didn't help, still keeps giving kernel
panic. I have tried my best, at this point I am dropping this project for this
PC.

If I have to use a more recent browser to access certain sites, I am just gonna have to use a different C2D PC preferably. Will reserve this for project for later.

This P$ server doesn't boot from USB, DVD drive works intermittently and roaches love to live inside it. So it has basically lived its life, if dies then seems best to discard it. With all the roaches inside, wonder if it is worth salvaging anything inside and also how long they will last. Seems to be too much trouble for nothing. All these efforts are certainly energy draining.

Old Today, 03:20 PM   #1181
rvijay

Original Poster
A buddy gave me a suggestion that if this older PC dies not to throw it but to leave it as such, let the roaches live inside it, this way they leave my other equipment alone. Will reflect on this.

Old Today, 05:04 PM   #1182
rvijay

Original Poster
This article is not loading for me, the 32 bit OS list:
https://itsfoss.com/32-bit-os-list/

Try and see if it loads for you. Thanks.

Tried this on Opera older version and got this error:
Secure connection: fatal error (40) from server.

https://itsfoss.com/32-bit-os-list/

Failed to connect to server. The reason may be that the encryption methods supported by the server are not enabled in the security preferences.

Please note that some encryption methods are no longer supported, and that access will not be possible until the website has been upgraded to use strong encryption.

Edited to add:
That site finally loaded on my browser. Very nice to see it. The BSDs will atleast support 32 bit for a long time. Linux is not just desktops and for servers also. Moreover, there are the developing countries that still use 32 bit and can't afford to upgrade fast. )

Last edited by rvijay; Today at 05:36 PM.