LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #46
enorbet

Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up

Rep: Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637

LOL Well I'm not gonna go THAT far but I think it is important to make this very clear....

I think uninstance should have put this in bold, too. "THIS only works for -Current"

It is possible to achieve in 14.2 but it's a bit more complex and not without tradeoffs.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #47
wael_h

Distribution: Slackware64

Rep: Reputation: 16
I live with previous alsa* and pulseaudio

Hello all;

I hope this info is helpful to someone.
To start, I have a machine with poor linux support when it comes to PCI and PCIE drivers, it has intel
C600/X79 chipset.

Hardware:
Machine: Dell workstation T5600 was made in 2012 has latest bios dated 6/30/2019.
Audio Devices:
Quote:
root@yafa:~# lspci | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
05:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
09:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs EMU10k1X [SB Live! Value/OEM Series]
root@yafa:~#
Software:
Slackware64 current, upgraded up to date, with kernel 5.4.11.

I do not use nvidia audio. I like and use the SURROUND sound in SoundBlaster.
My pulseaudio problem started last May, when alsa-lib, alsa-utils and alsa-plugins
were upgraded to version 1.1.9. Pulseaudio was rebuilt soon after and later upgraded to
version 13.0 - September.

I could not use SURROUND sound on my creative lab SoundBlaster, stereo worked fine.
When SoundBlaster was configured for surround sound, errors were logged into my system
log and dmesg, sound was crackling/skipping and volume controls were useless ...
no surround in short.

What I did was downgrade alsa-{lib,utils,plugins} to 1.1.8 and pulseaudio to 12.2.
I had to compile all packages from source, I got them from slackware cumulative history
site here: Alsa packages built okay, that was NOT the case for pulseaudio, volume-test was failing
toward the end of compilation. I tried a fix posted online for removing --ffast-math compiler
flag, that did not work, volume-test still failed. I added --disable-tests switch to
configuration statement and pulseaudio was built. I have been using it for a while now, I do
not know if it will fail in the future. For now I can use surround sound with my SoundBlaster.

My modified pulseaudio.SlackBuild: https://pastebin.com/MXS2qZsj
Note the added 2 switches below:
--disable-bluez5 \
--disable-tests \

On a side note: /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa and /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa-oss had to be removed by hand,
removepkg did not delete them! I renamed them actually with:

Quote:
root@yafa:~# mv /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa-hide
root@yafa:~# mv /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa-oss /etc/rc.d/rc.alsa-oss-hide
Good luck to all
Wael H.

Tags
alsa, moc stable, pulse audio