LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #31
jsbjsb001

Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: Currently OpenMandriva. Previously openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
That is totally against the freedom of expression and opinion promoted here.
You could probably say something very similar about people "ignoring others" here - be that through the ignore list or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
It also defeats one major aspect of the Ignore option: it is supposed to be anonymous - nobody can see that you're ignoring someone.
At least that's how it works on every forum I know that implements that.
AFAICS, nobody is suggesting making people's ignore list's public, and that would be a bad idea IMHO - so it's already anonymous. Jeremy as the admin can likely see anything on this forum, the same as if you login as root on your machine you can do anything and see any config settings - system-wide or not. So not sure how any of that changes ?

PS: While I can understand where you're coming from; I must also say that, you seem to be somewhat overly critical and cynical in a lot of your postings that I've seen - particularly since you only seem to post to criticize other people's posts. Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled View Post
I disagree, since not everyone here has freedom of expression. These attackers are the ones against freedom of expression. I have been harassed and are being still being actively harassed by them. I report them and nothing at all is done about them. But when I reply to their harassing nasty disrespectful comments, I get penalized. That's discrimination and violates my freedom of expression. Why can't I say what I want and these attackers can say what they want with full immunity?
I must totally agree with this point, and in fact have raised this very point with Jeremy directly - which seemed to fall on deaf ears. I very recently got a warning via the infractions system for simply questioning a mod publicly in thread, where in no way was I personally attacking anyone (and nobody else that was responding was attacking anyone either), and AFAICS, breaking no rules. And I've noticed exactly what you're talking about a number of times here with a number of members - not just myself. This kind of inconsistent moderation is one of the very reasons my interest in participating here at LQ is very much on the decline. I've even seen at least a couple of threads in the last few days that I normally would have likely responded to, to try and offer some help with the OP's problem, but just didn't have the drive to even bother. I've also seen other members express similar feelings here, in at least one case, the long-term member hasn't posted in quite a while here since.

But again, Jeremy doesn't seem interested in doing much if anything about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
I use the ignore list. It is slightly irritating to go to a thread with a new post and find it from someone on my ignore list, emphasis on the word slightly. If I want to read the post, I can. If I don't, I don't have to. Purpose accomplished.
I find it "slightly irritating" to open a thread, only to realize that the OP is on my ignore list, and then end up closing the tab. When it could have just not been displayed in the first place (if I had that option), and I wouldn't have wasted my time opening it to begin with. And while it seems to have gotten lost on some; I also would like a "Ignored Threads" feature so I can ignore threads regardless of whether or not the OP of said thread(s) is on my ignore list or not. Why should an "ignore feature" be limited to just individual members?

Quote:
To enhance the function to suppress (not show me at all) posts from people I ignore seem unnecessary overhead to me. Customizing the display of fora or search results for each individual member is, IMO, overkill.
Well, as Geist quite correctly pointed out above, the "overhead" would apply to those that implement and maintain the feature itself from an admin point of view - which would be Jeremy and not individual member's themselves. Furthermore, the "ignore list" is already an optional feature that members can elect to use, or not to use - nobody AFAICS is asking for that to change.

Well, this is why I suggested above that cynwulf's idea he mentioned in post #21 about members having more options and control over exactly how the forum software "ignores" things, can be a win-win solution for everyone concerned. So therefore in that case, you could elect to just retain the current behavior of the ignore list, while others could elect to have it "hide" more than just posts. The same as people that don't want to use it full stop, could still elect not to use it at all - each to their own.

Again, where's the harm in giving people more choice ? Why is that a bad thing all of a sudden ?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #32
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798Reputation: 3798
Closing this thread, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Appreciate the feedback. There will be no changes to the ignore functionality (or any major changes for that matter) until the pending code upgrade.

--jeremy

1 members found this post helpful.

Closed Thread

Tags
ignore list, threads