LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Puppy
User Name
Password
Puppy This forum is for the discussion of Puppy Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Mike_Walsh

Distribution: Nowt but Puppies....

Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
RecordMyDesktop screen capture - now available as a .pet package

Evening, all.

As many of you may already know, RecordMyDesktop is a screen capture app that's been available through the PPM of 'buntu-based Puppies for quite some time. It comprises two parts; 'recordmydesktop', the binary itself.....and either 'gtk-recordmydesktop' or 'qt-recordmydesktop' for the graphical front-end. For Puppy, of course, gtk is preferable to QT, simply because it's far more lightweight. I only came across this a few weeks ago; previously, I'd been using Maarten Baert's Simple Screen Recorder, but I find this simpler to set up, and, ultimately, easier to use.

I already have it installed into Xenialpup 7081, Tahrpup 605, Tahr64 605 and Precise 571 (from the repos) and it works well. It creates an 'Ogg' container, and uses Theora for the video component, and Vorbis for the audio. To my mind, it's rather smoother and less 'jerky' than S.S.R......although that could just be my hardware.

I created the .pet package for two reasons. One, because I run a number of non-'buntu Pups (and this is not available direct through their PPMs), and two, because for the last few weeks, I've been trying out an Upup Raring spin called 'VoxPup', by Puppy forum member greengeek. This utilises the 'pocketsphinx' lightweight speech recognition 'engine', as the idea behind this particular 'Puplet' was to attempt voice-control of basic functions.....but even without this, it's an excellent (and very stable) Puppy.

Of course, being based on Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail', one of the intermediate, 9-month support releases between the LTS versions, the repos went offline years ago. Absolutely everything (except for what was in the re-master itself) has been installed from .pet & SFS packages. Luckily, there is so much stuff available for Pup; it works really, really well.

This has so far been tested in the 32-bit Slackos (550, 560 & 570) and 'VoxPup' itself; it works quite happily in all of them. It also runs without complaint in ETP's 'Chromebook Pup' (based on 571), and Racy 5.5. A file is produced in /root called 'out.ogv', you can of course rename this to anything you want. It plays back fine in both VLC and SMPlayer (ogg being an open-source 'standard'). It's also accepted by YouTube without a murmur.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The encoding session which commences when you stop recording very often runs on to well over 100%, as reported by the progress bar. This appears to be perfectly normal; just be patient! I admit, it does seem to take rather longer in the Slackos than it does in the 'buntus.....but it still gets there (eventually!) Perhaps something 'extra' is required, although the terminal doesn't report anything missing. It does, however, function as intended.

Two small modifications to the settings (click on the 'Advanced' button to access them) will work wonders. Under the 'Sound' tab, change the 'DEFAULT' to 'default' (in lower-case). ALSA can then find it. And while you're there, change the frequency from 22050 KHz to 44100 KHz; the increased resampling rate makes for better sound-quality.

You'll find this at the MediaFire a/c in my sig; look for the 'RecordMyDesktop' directory.

Enjoy.

Mike.

Last edited by Mike_Walsh; 10-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
diode84

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello Mike
Any chance of a download of your RecordMyDesktop-0.3.8.1-i686.pet. Its for tahr605 but It wont download for me.
Thanks
diode84

Last edited by diode84; 12-14-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
diode84

Hello again Mike
It downloaded this time. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Mike_Walsh

Distribution: Nowt but Puppies....

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362Reputation: 362
Hi, diode84.

Good, good; glad to hear it.

Actually, in Tahr 605 you could have installed this direct from the PPM.....were you aware of that? Although this app has been around in the Ubuntu repos for a long while, I built this package more for those Pups based on some of the 'in-between' short-term releases, where the 'official' repos went off-line years ago. And also for those Pups where it's never been available via the repos (mainly the Slackos).

But if it's working for you, that's great. Many folks prefer SimpleScreenRecorder.....but I just think this is simpler & easier to use.

It's all subjective, anyway. 'One man's meat...', and all that..!

Mike.

Last edited by Mike_Walsh; 12-16-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
diode84

Thanks Mike
I did find ssr in the ppm and and am still working on it. I am also trying record my desktop but have a sound problem in both so am working on that.