LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Kernel
User Name
Password
Linux - Kernel This forum is for all discussion relating to the Linux kernel.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
disa
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Kernel (3.4) module build error

Hello

I am kinda new to linux.
Recently i decided on installing debian on my old tablet(android) with allwinner CPU. I tried sticking with armbian ready images, but i couldn't get wifi to work.

After an investigation on android i found out that the kernel modules that're providing wifi functionality on android, are named nano_ksdio and nano_if.

I found the source code in linux kernel source for allwinners(legacy 3.4 linux-sunxi code)

Using standard compilation options:
Code:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- sun4i_defconfig
make -j$(nproc) ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- uImage modules
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- INSTALL_MOD_PATH=output modules_install
Compilation is successful however it does not produce the compiled nano-* modules.

When i enter module directory directly and execute make
Code:
cd modules/wifi/nano-c047.12
make all
or
Code:
./build.sh
I get the following error:
Code:
make -C kernel/ic -f Makefile PLATFORM=winner V=0 all strip
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic'
make -C /root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty/ SUBDIRS=/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty'
Makefile:25: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic'
Makefile:31: recipe for target 'ic' failed
make: *** [ic] Error 2
How can i make this module to build?
Here is the link to the particular folder i am trying to build: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux...i/nano-c047.12

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980
Welcome to LQ, disa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disa
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'. Stop.
I'm wondering where exactly things are. The 'make -C' bit tells it to change to the kernel source for files and use those. It's usually for things outside the kernel source tree, which need the sopurce to build.
  • Is your wifi module part of the kernel source? What directory is it in?
  • Is the kernel source a clean source tree, or have you just built the kernel?

If you haven't just built a kernel, it might be a good idea. If there's a file called .config in the kernel source, just run 'make'.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
disa
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply!

Firstly I've compiled the kernel and modules.
Nano module was not built.
Then I tried manually entering the build folder of the driver and building the module.

Changed path in build.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -e

make CROSS_COMPILE=~/workspace/exdroid/lichee/buildroot/output/external-toolchain/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- \
	ARCH=arm KERNEL_DIR=~/workspace/exdroid/lichee/linux-2.6.36
to
Code:
KERNEL_DIR=/root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty
as well as
Code:
KERNEL_DIR=/root/linux-sunxi/output/
or
Code:
KERNEL_DIR=/root/linux-sunxi
but each time the error is same.

I've also tried building it from root and executing
Code:
make M=modules/wifi/nano-c047.12
but it gave me the same error.

/root/linux-sunxi/ <--- github repository with kernel source
/root/linux-sunxi/output/ <--- where linux modules are going to be built
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12 <--- driver source I need to build

Full dir list of /root/linux-sunxi: tree

Last edited by disa; 09-17-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
business_kid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980Reputation: 980
Sorry, I usually grok my email in the morning. From Post #1

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic'
That's it changing directory to the directory shown - not the kernel. That caught me by surprise. Is that where you have the wifi driver source?
Code:
make -C /root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty/ SUBDIRS=/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic modules
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'.  Stop.
It then goes off to 'root/linux-sunxi/output/lib/modules/3.4.104-gd47d3670-dirty', finds nothing top make, and pukes. I would guess it has a Makefile in the top source dir, holds many modules, and you might have to configure it for the one you want Stop trying to build it for the moment. Go to the top source dir, and look for a Makefile, and a configure script.. If you're lucky, there'll be a configure script; run 'make clean' and then
Code:
./configure --help |less
. The thing you need to configure is what module(s) to build.
As a general rule, it's better to build as a user, and not in the /root dir. This is in case the build goes mad (Not unknown) because root is almighty. Just install as root.

If you can't make sense of it (there are other build systems) post a link to the driver and I'll have a quick look.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
disa
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you for your post.

As you suggested I inspected Makefiles in linux kernel root folder and other drivers' folders.

The code I am using does not include configure.sh files, instead I can use make menuconfig, but it does not include any option to build nanoradio nxr600 driver.

I decided to build it manually with correct dirs:
Code:
make PLATFORM=winner KERNEL_DIR=/root/linux-sunxi/ CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- ARCH=arm all
Make enters KERNEL_DIR folder correctly and executes main Makefile to build module from subdir
Code:
make -C /root/linux-sunxi/ SUBDIRS=/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic modules
Unfortunately the build is unsuccessful. I tried compiling it with 3 different gcc versions:
  • gcc-8
  • gcc-4.6(I compiled kernel 3.4 successfully using this compiler)
  • gcc-4.4
But the error is the same(I did make clean before each build:
Code:
make -C /root/linux-sunxi/ SUBDIRS=/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic modules
make[2]: Entering directory '/root/linux-sunxi'
  CC [M]  /root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/application.o
  CC [M]  /root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.o
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘de_find_skb’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:144: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘DriverEnvironment_Startup’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:163: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘DriverEnvironment_Terminate’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:185: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘tx_alloc_unlink’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:558: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘DriverEnvironment__TX_Alloc’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:591: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘DriverEnvironment_indicate’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:620: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c: In function ‘DriverEnvironment_Core_Dump_Complete’:
/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.c:958: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv’
scripts/Makefile.build:307: recipe for target '/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.o' failed
make[3]: *** [/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic/../../driverenv/src/driverenv.o] Error 1
Makefile:1367: recipe for target '_module_/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic' failed
make[2]: *** [_module_/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-sunxi'
Makefile:25: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/linux-sunxi/modules/wifi/nano-c047.12/kernel/ic'
Makefile:31: recipe for target 'ic' failed
make: *** [ic] Error 2
I suspect that this code was never fully integrated into this kernel tree.
Also I can nowhere find any other version of this driver, and the manufacture website's disappeared as it was bought by Samsung in 2011.
The device name is: Nanoradio NXR600.
Here is the code of the driver I am building: nano-c-47.12

#edit:
I also found this chinese page about compiling this driver for linux but it's about 2.6 kernel version. View using google translate

Last edited by disa; 09-18-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
business_kid
LQ Guru

I was thinking there'd be either a configure script (usually named configure but config.sh would do) in the top driver source, or something maybe from cmake, or possibly an autogen.sh script which generates a configure. There should also be a readme!

Anyhow, that output is at least more specific. I googled that error struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv'
struct net_device’ has no member named ‘priv'
https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/ind...t-2130030.html

always worth asking google.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
disa
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
There is no such file as configure script, autogen, not even a readme.

After examining some google results about this particular error I found out that this error occurs because it was written for 2.6 kernel version.
I tried building it for 2.6 linux kernel and it went fine.
It was never updated to be built on higher linux kernel versions, and I do not have enough linux knowledge to do this, so I think I will stick to external USB wifi module.

Thank you so much for help.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
business_kid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by disa View Post
There is no such file as configure script, autogen, not even a readme.
Dodgy stuff, then. Unless they're hidden down in the subdirectories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disa View Post
After examining some google results about this particular error I found out that this error occurs because it was written for 2.6 kernel version.
I tried building it for 2.6 linux kernel and it went fine.
It was never updated to be built on higher linux kernel versions, and I do not have enough linux knowledge to do this, so I think I will stick to external USB wifi module.
Thank you so much for help.
I am old enough to have been there for that change (2.6--> 3.0) and things moved fairly rapidly right then. I would regard you as foolhardy if you tried. That's the sort of job you subcontract out :-)), or don't do at all. Your choice is wise. You can mark this solved, then, as you found out what to do - in this case, bravely turn on your heels and flee:-). The one option is to use a retro arm distro, but the security fixes in recent stuff make that unwise.