LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
scasey
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.4
Posts: 983

Rep: Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335
Enhancements to Forum page


On a Forum page -- the page listing the threads -- each thread is identified by its Subject, which is also a link to the thread, and the userid of the original poster.

I think it would be useful to also display the originating date of the original post and/or the current post count of the originating poster.

That would identify both the time since the original post and whether or not the OP ever came back (sort of).
I think either of those additional data would be useful/interesting.

Thoughts?
 
Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 13,563
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568Reputation: 3568
I think this suggestion has merit and should be considered for a future update.

It might reduce the resurrection of long-buried threads by making the date of the first post more prominent.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
TenTenths
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Location: Dublin
Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7
Posts: 2,689

Rep: Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
It might reduce the resurrection of long-buried threads by making the date of the first post more prominent.
Or just automatically lock threads six months or a year after the last reply.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
scasey
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.4
Posts: 983

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTenths View Post
Or just automatically lock threads six months or a year after the last reply.
That's not the point of my suggestion, tho that may be an idea with some merit. Maybe open a new thread here to propose that?

I'm suggesting time of OP so one can see if the thread is recent or has been lingering for a few days or weeks. Combined with observation of the number of replies one can deduce whether they want to open the thread to review and/or comment.

I think the more interesting idea of my post is displaying the post count of the OP. I've seen, and participated in, threads with tens of replies where the OP has never come back, or ever posted anything else. Having the post count would make that obvious from the Forum overview page.
 
Old 06-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Michael Uplawski
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2015
Location: Normandy, France
Distribution: Debian buster/sid
Posts: 647
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 396Reputation: 396Reputation: 396Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
I'm suggesting time of OP so one can see if the thread is recent or has been lingering for a few days or weeks. Combined with observation of the number of replies one can deduce whether they want to open the thread to review and/or comment.
The PhpBB (or phpBB or PHPBb or...), e.g. on forum.softmaker.com does it that way:
Screen Shot of the German issue.

The columns are Subject - Responses - Access - Last contribution
The date/time-values are the one of the OP and of the last contribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc_php_softmaker.png
Views:	6
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	27913  

Last edited by Michael Uplawski; 06-14-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: explanation/translation
 
Old 06-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Mill J
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2017
Location: 127.0.0.1 Sweet 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Void, LFS,Tahrpup, Quirky on Rpi and many others
Posts: 793
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 289Reputation: 289Reputation: 289
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
On a Forum page -- the page listing the threads -- each thread is identified by its Subject, which is also a link to the thread, and the userid of the original poster.

I think it would be useful to also display the originating date of the original post and/or the current post count of the originating poster.

That would identify both the time since the original post and whether or not the OP ever came back (sort of).
I think either of those additional data would be useful/interesting.

Thoughts?
This would be a great addition and I, like you, have wished for that feature many times.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
let's list thread's forum on subscribed threads page newbiesforever LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 03-15-2012 07:48 PM
Why can't I move a page ahead in the forum?? Bill_Hwy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 9 03-03-2008 06:18 PM
Forum Page Loading delay tytower LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 01-09-2007 04:40 PM
Menu with links to each forum on each page General LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 05-14-2006 06:31 AM
Python: loading page from forum fiomba Linux - Software 13 11-24-2004 09:51 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration