LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
A4refill
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux Mint With Full Disk Encryption Wont Boot

Hi guys

Today when browsing the internet with about 30 or more tabs open in Firefox my computer became unresponsive and crashed. I waited a bit to see if it would work and i could hear a faint grinding sound for a few seconds.

Tried rebooting and it wouldn't boot. It lets me type the decryption password but fails after. Here is what happens

https://youtu.be/tHav2zJu2P0

Bad sectors?

Is it possible to recover the data? I had 8k in my bitcoin wallet with no backups. Okay i never bought it for 8k lol but its worth that right now. About 500gb of data needs recovering but not all important.

Please help!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
Hi A4refill,

Welcome!

Any of a number of things could help, but it's impossible to tell which, because you haven't said how you encrypted the disk. I couldn't read very much of your video, because it was too small. You probably have a lUKS partition, so you could open it with the Knoppix live cd.

You would use the program cryptsetup.
Code:
$ cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda5 some_name
Then it will prompt for your password/phrase. After you unlock it you have to mount it. The device should be at /dev/mapper/some_name. Just mount that somewhere.

I don't know how much you know. So, ask more questions if you wish.