LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
iMeshal
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Solaris, Centos

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
editing MX entry

i have installed debian on my VPS but i could not edit MX entry to MX entry for gmail.
i have installed postfix and webmin and still i could not fix it.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695Reputation: 2695
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeshal View Post
i have installed debian on my VPS but i could not edit MX entry to MX entry for gmail.
i have installed postfix and webmin and still i could not fix it.
An MX entry is set on a DNS/BIND server to establish the authoritative mail servers for a domain. Unless your new Debian node is a mail server and you want it to be the primary for your domain, you should not be changing MX entries.

I suspect, based upon your mention of gmail, that what you are REALLY looking for is the SMARHOST entry for your mail engine to route all outgoing mail through gmail. If not, then if you only want to PULL mail from your gmail account you want "fetchmail" or something like it.

Note that you can configure most email clients (thunderbird, evolution, etc) to use your gmail account by default making the host SMARTHOST setting moot and fetchmail redundant.

Can you tell us more about your issue, situation, and requirement?

1 members found this post helpful.