LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Barkester

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
de-encryption of .eml text using?

Started again with simple curiosity and ended up on another jungle tromp. Its good as I do learn stuff every time and its way less dry this way than following the book with another foo example.

Always read and see effects around me but its rare to get a view of the innards so this set of emails grabbed me. Every step has been ridiculous but I got this far.

They were posted on a media site and after much jockeying around with first allowing J-script and then trying various VPN options, I finally got past whatever censor was blocking and got 'em.

Got three zips but the guy musta updated 10 minutes before zipping as I hadda update to even start. Than the stupid problem. 7z doesn't dash before arguments. Didn't even look. Went thru the whole zip world and learned a good bit in the end finally omitting the dash and opening them. Learned dashless arguments are not as uncommon as I'd thought and to watch for them in the future. Good lesson.

So now I've got thousands of eml files. They are not themselves totally encrypted as the headers and other top info come right up when opened with less, vim and mousepad. All the main text however is totally encrypted. Chicken language, you know?

Is there some special trick to eml files or should I look into deencryption programs?

If so, which programs would be best for decrypting plain text?

Thnx for all replies.

Here's the files if that helps LINK DELETED by mod ... or if you're curious too.

Everybody needs s hobby.

Last edited by jefro; 07-17-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.4

Rep: Reputation: 125Reputation: 125
What?
Post, in code tags ONE example .eml file, please.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Barkester

Distribution: Arch

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Sure. Here ya' go. I did chop the text ruthlessly as its really long, but you can get the whole thing, codes included, off the link supplied if you wanna read it.
Portion deleted by mod.

Many here do know the answer. Its not hard. "guilt by association" can cause harassment in the west. 'Fraid my request is not very PC. I could be Russian! Whatever.
Got some time today so may just post the answer myself later with luck. May even find a way to pipe the 7z thru foo to get all the files done in a crack. Probly' an easy way.

Edit: Easy way found.

After the forest of openssl and smime and more, all a good lesson, I found out the easy way was with Thunderbird and the end joke was on me. Its all in Russian! I may run some over Yandex/translate but such results would be a headache. Might be a decent in if I run into Olga again though. "Can you translate some stuff at my place?". Maybe good for something yet. I'll keep the zips for now.

So to answer my own question: how do you open an .eml?

install Thunderbird if not already installed (big distros have it stock).

Right-click on an .eml and open with Thunderbird.

Had a feeling there was an easy way, but without peers all one can do is rip it apart and see whats inside.

Back to the book. Gonna burn it one day and do a little snoopy dance.

Last edited by jefro; 07-17-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551Reputation: 2551
Barkester, please don't post links to sites that may have stolen data. Please don't post the data here.

Closed Thread