LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #46
newbiesforever

Distribution: MX (desktop: XFCE 4)

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 77
neither has your attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
You asked this a year ago.

should I bother changing passwords on every website?

My own answers have not changed.
I would say oops, my mistake; but that was arguably not quite the same question. It wasn't inappropriate to remind me I had made a very similar post before and forgotten; but I question your motivation for digging through my posts, especially since it's not the first time you have posted an unnecessarily rude response to me.

Last edited by newbiesforever; 02-27-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #47
onebuck

Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532Reputation: 2532
Moderator Response

@newbiesforever

No LQ Rules violation or rude at all about a reminder. Nothing wrong with forgetting something either.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #48
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
I would say oops, my mistake; but that was arguably not quite the same question. It wasn't inappropriate to remind me I had made a very similar post before and forgotten; but I question your motivation for digging through my posts, especially since it's not the first time you have posted an unnecessarily rude response to me.
but it was the same question - see post #7 of that thread:
Quote:
Is there a security reason I shouldn't manually keep a file of my passwords, if it works for me? I know perfectly well what a password manager is, and used to use one; but it was made a nuisance by a a university e-mail system that went through more than one password check. After routine password changes, the password manager didn't understand that the change applied to both checks, leading to constant password mistakes. I got annoyed enough that I abandoned the password manager, and have ever since been consulting my manually maintained password file.
(and in subsequent posts dugan, amongst many others, answered that question)
compare that to the OP of this topic:
Quote:
I've never been sure whether it's unwise for security reasons to use a password manager. I stopped in probably 2017, and switched to "pen and paper"--that is, I keep my passwords manually in a file. Not encrypted. I have the file on home computer and nobody's about to look. It works for me and I'm comfortable with it. It actually wasn't for security reasons in the first place that I quit password managers, anyway. Do I have any reason to go back? It is less secure, not more? What do you do?
and there's nothing questionable or rude about dugan's answer; i think your own mind is adding these qualities to something which is just dry information and efficiency without much social finesse.

and btw, digging through anybody's posts, that's exactly what forums are there for.
otherwise it would be a chatting platform.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #49
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.5

Rep: Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877Reputation: 877
At the risk of bringing this thread back on-topic:

I use a password-protected spreadsheet, originally created in Excel on Windows, to store userids and passwords. I've done this since learning that having the same password for multiple sites and accounts is a very bad idea!

I keep the file in Dropbox, so I can access it from multiple machines. That works well in all but Linux (tho I should try again now that I've re-installed this desktop on an ext4 drive), but I can still get it with the Dropbox web interface. I can't make changes to it from the iPad, but I'm OK with that.

1 members found this post helpful.