LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2019, 12:17 AM   #16
Saptech

Distribution: Mageia 7, Devuan & Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 40

fsarchiver for full system backup & rsync for /home backup...

Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #17
finalturismo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I use rclone and do a 1 way sync to Google drive.

In my opinion the easiest way to do a backup is to backup your entire drive to either another drive or a .raw file.

Boot to a live Linux installation with DD and raw compatibility (Almost every live install has these basic packages)

run 1 command and wait
for example

Quote:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/home/usr/file.raw
This will take your ENTIRE hard drive (sda) and save it to a .raw file

when you want to restore your hard drive just do
Quote:
dd if=/home/usr/file.raw of=/dev/sda
dd in general is pretty slow so to speed it up , if you drive goes around 100MB/s - 200MB/s do a bs=100M

A good rule of thumb if your transferring huge files, do a bs= and half your transfer speed. Too high of a number can slow down transfer speed and default dd is VERY slow depending on your distribution, settings, versions, etc....

you can play with bs size to speed up transfer.

For example i was cloning a clients windows drive before i messed with his installation. the dd transfer speed for me caps at around 30MB/s without specifying dd transfer increments (bs=). As soon as i did a bs=100M my transfer rates jumped to 200MB/s.

if you want to show progress add --status=progress
this shows current transfer and speed while copying.

The great part about dd is it is ROCK solid and can even copy many drives in use. You can pipe DD with many of your compression utilities to compress the drive or the raw file into many small parts than use rclone and cronjobs to upload to google drive once every so many days. This is if you can get away with using dd while the system is on (in many cases you can)

The best part about this method it is likely the most minimalist way to do a complete backup up.

Many other packages just use the dd command to do all the dirty work.

Last edited by finalturismo; 09-27-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #18
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926Reputation: 2926
" it keeps running after the timer indicates that it's supposed to be finished."

I'd ask why is it doing this. As far as I know Redo hasn't been updated so that makes me think some issue with your system ought to be looked at. Could be some odd issue with redo but I'd look at maybe checking filesystem. Check storage or network issues???

Old 09-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #19
wpeckham

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS

Rep: Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330Reputation: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy View Post
Well, heretofore, I was using Redo Backup to backup the Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon) installation on our Samsung Notebook; however, since the installation, Redo Backup has been acting wonky - it keeps running after the timer indicates that it's supposed to be finished. I manually stopped the program and there IS a backup file created, but I'm hesitant to test it because I have a working system right now.

What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte).

Thanks, guys! ;-)
Ghost for linux for my imaging, BURP for my network backups, tar with xz for unique backup/restore problems and rsync to clone directories or containers to another server.

I have used other tools in the past, and I am always looking for the best fit for new situations. Do not get hung up on your backup tool unless you are willing to be MORE hung up on your restore process. There are many people who have backups that will never do them any good because they cannot restore and recover using them. TEST your solutions.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #20
FenderGuy

Distribution: Linux Mint 18.3

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 8
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm basically a Linux neophyte. I primarily use our laptop for web browsing and libre office.

I looked at the suggested backup options and I think I'm going to stick with Redo Backup for now. It works - and I'm comfortable with it. The other options seem to require a more experienced user - and I can't risk losing what I already have.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #21
JJJCR

Rep: Reputation: 277Reputation: 277Reputation: 277
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy View Post
I'm currently doing point-in-time Redo Backup's of my Linux Mint 18.3 laptop install. It's all I really need, since I back up the My Documents folder and my Opera bookmarks more regularly, via a thumb drive.

I like the premise of Redo Backup - and it only takes about 12 minutes!

Are there any drawbacks with Clonezilla?
Drawbacks I think would be is the backup is not real-time. Clonezilla is some sort of bare-metal backup. Or if you need to migrate a physical pc to virtual or vice versa.