LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
upnort

Distribution: Slackware, Proxmox, Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu MATE

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thunderbird 68.1 in 14.2

Anybody using 14.2 made the direct dive to Thunderbird 68.1? What changes from the interface perspective? Any breakage?

In 14.2 Pat threw Thunderbird 68.1 into /patches rather than 60.9. Currently blacklisted on my systems.

I suppose moving to 68.x is inevitable. Despite all the copypasta news releases online, I find no real help with what interface changes or possible breakage I should expect. Yeah, to test 68 I can restore profiles from backups and pull the network cable.

I use three addons: 1) Identity Chooser, 2) Calendar, 3) Mailbox Alert. Apparently Identity Chooser does not work in 68. That's a show stopper for me.

<mumblegrumble>I hate major version bumps with software.</mumblegrumble>

Thanks.

Edit: Compiling 60.9 breaks on 14.2. Something about "Stylo" needing LLVM 3.9.0.

Edit: With a quick test of 68.1 I ran into the same segfault described here. For me the problematic preference was gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled=false.

Edit: Looks the 68.x menu Help->About dialog no longer supports not checking for updates. On Linux systems that should be disabled by default?

Edit: I confirmed both Identity Chooser and Mailbox Alert are disabled with 68.1.

Last edited by upnort; 09-13-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
abga

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
Quote:
For me the problematic preference was gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled=false
That sucks, thanks for the warning. It looks like you cannot get rid of google anymore (that's from where the majority of pages are getting the fonts/images).

Old 09-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
upnort

Original Poster
Quote:
That sucks, thanks for the warning
Yup, that's an understatement. Hopefully this is a bug.

The 68.x Preferences dialog is now the same embedded flat crap used in Firefox. Was so nice that Thunderbird previously had a Preferences dialog box.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
abga

Rep: Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634Reputation: 634
I hope that the option: View > Message Body As > Plain Text is still there, otherwise I'll stick with 60.9

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/th.../releasenotes/
Quote:
Thunderbird version 68.1 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as upgrade from Thunderbird version 60 or earlier. A future version 68.2 will provide updates from earlier versions.
Explains also why it's in /patches. I guess it's better to wait for 68.2

Old 09-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
upnort

Original Poster
Quote:
I hope that the option: View > Message Body As > Plain Text is still there
Just checked. Still there. That is my default too.

Quote:
Explains also why it's in /patches. I guess it's better to wait for 68.2
While moving to 68.x is inevitable, I wish Pat had not pushed 68.1 and had updated 14.2 to 60.9. That would have provided breathing room to wait for the 68.2 release.

The release notes show some security patches in 60.9.

Compiling 60.9 requires a newer llvm (available in /extra). Perhaps that is a reason Pat moved to 68.1.

I compiled 60.9, 44 minutes on my 4-core system. I'll be using 60.9 for a while.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #6
abga

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnort View Post
Just checked. Still there. That is my default too.
Thanks for the confirmation, since I only display messages as text I'll not be dependent on gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled
Some HTML E-mails do look broken and it's pretty hard to follow the content & links, but I can live with that.
Yup 60.9 is OK, I'm also running it. Will wait for 68.2 and hope it'll be able to import (normal upgrade procedure) the whole bunch of accounts & E-mails I own.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
upnort

Original Poster
Quote:
Some HTML E-mails do look broken and it's pretty hard to follow the content & links, but I can live with that.
Yeah, some of the folks at work use HTML (Outlook). Occasionally I have to temporarily enable HTML to read the text. Usually when people using colored fonts and say they highlighted the text accordingly.

Quote:
I'll not be dependent on gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled
I had not though of that. Yeah, good news. I am hoping that forced option is a bug.

Regarding my original post, looks like the Mailbox Alert addon is now updated but not Identity Chooser. I am going to guess with 68.2 we'll see the Help->About dialog return to normal behavior. I hope.

And compiling is not an issue if the llvm package in /extra is installed.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
abga

I just got Thunderbird 68.1 offered as upgrade for Thunderbird 60.9.0 (64) on a Redmond machine I use from time to time. Given this system is not my main one, basically used for Redmond only apps & tests, I accepted the upgrade. After the first Thunderbird restart I got my profiles & messages displayed, but lost my theme. I'm keeping my profile on an external file server and mount it whenever I need it. On the second restart Thunderbird decided that it's a new installation and asked me to register an account. To fix this I had to exit, edit the locally stored AppData profiles.ini and remove the [Profile1] that was created by this 68.1 upgrade, leave only the old and default [Profile0] pointing to my external drive.
And ... manually download and reinstall my lost theme (couldn't find it in the addons/theme online search from inside Thunderbird):
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US...ark-fox-18066/
Basically it wasn't a successful upgrade but a f... up. Don't know why they pushed it on the update release channel.

Still on Thunderbird 60.9 on my Slackware installations and with this Redmond upgrade experience I'm considering to keep it like that. Maybe 68.2 will do a better upgrade job.

Last edited by abga; 09-18-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: rewording

Old 09-19-2019, 02:42 AM   #9
Totoro-kun

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
I've tried 68.1 Thunderbird on one of my systems. For my needs it works OK. But there seem to be no good extensions to have a properly working system tray icon, like I have Firetray on my other systems with older releases of Thunderbird. Maybe not a big issue on modern environments that try to get rid of system tray altogether, but for a traditionalist like myself, running mate it is a big problem :-)

Old 09-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
abga

@Totoro-kun
Have you tried the ones listed under Linux?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Minimize_t..._(Thunderbird)

Just noticed on my Redmond setup that MinimizeToTray Reanimated is not working anymore with 68.1
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US...mated/reviews/

Last edited by abga; 09-20-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: LQ destroyed the first URL

Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
upnort

Original Poster
Quote:
But there seem to be no good extensions to have a properly working system tray icon, like I have Firetray on my other systems with older releases of Thunderbird.
I too don't understand the developer trend to resist minimizing apps. Thunderbird never really supported this well in Linux systems.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #12
abga

Quote:
I too don't understand the developer trend to resist minimizing apps. Thunderbird never really supported this well in Linux systems.
It's only about minimizing it to the system tray zone, not the normal minimization in the taskbar. I remember reading in the Thunderbird forums that Redmond discouraged this systray approach and the Mozilla devs dropped the general support for such a function (Linux incl.). With modern DE, where you can "pin the app to the taskbar" (Redmond slang), you shouldn't really need to minimize Thunderbird in the systray zone and free your taskbar, because it'll automatically minimize inside its already available pinned icon on the taskbar.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
upnort

Original Poster
Quote:
With modern DE, where you can "pin the app to the taskbar" (Redmond slang), you shouldn't really need to minimize Thunderbird in the systray zone and free your taskbar, because it'll automatically minimize inside its already available pinned icon on the taskbar.
Fair enough. How do Linux users "pin the app to the taskbar"?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
abga

Quote:
Fair enough. How do Linux users "pin the app to the taskbar"?
Dunno, ask Redmond and its copy-cat KDE
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...plasma-5-panel

Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
upnort

Original Poster
For anybody interested there is a list of compatible addons.