LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
rnturn

Distribution: CentOS, MacOS, [Open]SuSE, Raspian, Red Hat, Slackware, Solaris, Tru64

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
Re: icedax/wodim... What happened to them?

I haven't ripped any CDs for a while and since upgrading (to Leap 15.1) I found that the underlying tools -- icedax, in particular -- that my scripts call are no longer part of the distribution. Attempts so far haven't found any RPMs -- even sources -- for icedax (or the wodim source package that's supposed to contain icedax sources). At least one site returns 404 pages when trying to download the RPMs/SRPMs.

Did the maintainer call it quits?

Not crazy about having to rework my scripts to deal with the output from new utilities but maybe it'll rain this weekend. :^/

Any news about these? Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA...

Old 09-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372
On my distro, both tools are part of the cdrtools package and very much available.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
https://github.com/Distrotech/cdrkit

Not the first hit, but on the 1st page of a basic search

Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
rnturn

Distribution: CentOS, MacOS, [Open]SuSE, Raspian, Red Hat, Slackware, Solaris, Tru64

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
On my distro, both tools are part of the cdrtools package and very much available.
Hmm... interesting. Those utilities seem to have fallen out of favor with the openSUSE maintainers from both sides of the house: Leap and Tumbleweed. Makes one wish that distribution maintainers would find a way to include release notes with every set of released patches to explain the reason(s) for the update---or, in this case, the deprecation. Having a little heads-up about the change in CD tools would have been better than learning about it via a bunch of error messages when I launched my wrapper script. To be fair, it's probable that there was a message displayed regarding the deinstallation of icedax/wodim as zypper was prepping for the update but got lost in a flood of other messages though on my desktop I wouldn't get to see those when using the Plasma applet for kicking off the updates.

(Aside: Re: release notes: I also wouldn't mind knowing why Tumbleweed decides that everything associated with TeX/LaTeX -- fonts, macros, etc. -- has to be updated about once a month. It's not fun to fire up the laptop and see that there are 6000-7000 updates available for installation. But that's an entirely different topic.)

Anyway... I tweaked my wrapper scripts to use "cdda2wav" and am back in business. At least my WAV->MP3 and WAV->Ogg scripts didn't require radical changes by having to use completely new tools (and thank goodness the ".inf" file formats didn't change). Weird, though, that someone thought that users should even need go through that by dropping RPMs that used to be available. I have to wonder if it isn't a feeling on the part of the maintainers that the users of the graphical desktop tools won't care what the low-level utilities are so long as the GUI tools know about them---command line users will have to just deal with the changes that the GUI users are insulated from. That's OK, though. I like knowing what the GUI's doing behind the scenes. Still curious about the decision to drop a perfectly good CD ripping/burning toolset.

One oddity: I used to be able to use "icedax" without running it as root. I had to create a "cdda2wav" config file in /etc/sudoers.d to have it run as root to avoid a whole slew of error messages.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 109Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnturn View Post
Makes one wish that distribution maintainers would find a way to include release notes with every set of released patches to explain the reason(s) for the update---or, in this case, the deprecation. Having a little heads-up about the change in CD tools would have been better than learning about it via a bunch of error messages when I launched my wrapper script.
Yes I must say I had similar thoughts a week or so back when I installed Debian 10, I thought it was bad enough when I had to search to find the new way to get your IP address they now use. Well what fun it was to discover that halt and reboot had been depreciated as well....

Old 09-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372Reputation: 3372
I sympathize.
It makes you feel like you're being forced into using GNOME and buying newer, faster hardware, just because a bunch of developers and/or maintainers can't see beyond their own use case horizon.
Fortunately, this is not happening all that much and there's enough people following a different paradigm, so that distros like (...*) will never die out, and ship with cdrtools

*) for me it's ArchLinux, but I'm sure this applies to others, too.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #7
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172Reputation: 1172
For me it's slackware64: Full Multilib available, uses sysvinit and not systemd, options of lilo or grub, a kernel firmware package going back to the year dot, etc, etc. In short, you can be as new-fangled or as old-fashioned as you like.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
rnturn

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux View Post
Well what fun it was to discover that halt and reboot had been depreciated as well....
Huh? Are we going back to "shutdown -i6 -g0" to reboot? :^D

Old 09-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 109Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnturn View Post
Huh? Are we going back to "shutdown -i6 -g0" to reboot? :^D
I think it was systemctl poweroff to shutdown in Debian 10 so I will go with systemctl reboot. A quick google search leads me to see it is a correct guess. I only used it once to shutdown the system and get out my Debian 9 installer.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
ondoho
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux View Post
Well what fun it was to discover that halt and reboot had been deprecated as well....
(corrected)

On my distro, I need
Code:
systemd-sysvcompat
for that, otherwise it's the above mentioned systemctl commands.