LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Rep: Reputation: 88
Installing 14.2 On New Hardware

I use Slack mostly because of it's rock solid stability and as such prefer to not run the -current development release. Yes, I know many people say it's at least as stable as other "stable" distros. Let's just say it's bitten me in the past at times when I really needed it to not go sideways on me.

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop. When I attempted to install 14.2 on it I couldn't get past the first option, selecting the keyboard, because, ironically, the installer wasn't properly mapping the keyboard on this new machine.

When I downloaded the -current installation image and booted it I found that it did correctly map the keyboard. But, of course I wanted to install 14.2.

For anyone else out there who may find themselves in the same situation, this is how I went about getting 14.2 installed. I'm sure there are probably better approaches, but this worked for me.

Have a thumb drive with -current and another with 14.2 (or at least the /slackware64 directory of 14.2).

Download the contents of the 14.2 /patches directory and copy them to /patches on another thumb drive. Also just to make things easier also copy the kernel,modules, and firmware from -current to the same thumb drive as the patches.

Boot the machine using the -current installer. Go through the normal first steps (partitions, starting setup, setting your swap and root partitions and formatting them) and then stop when you reach the step of selecting the installation source.

Switch to another terminal screen, insert the 14.2 thumb drive, create a mount point for it and mount it. Switch back to the setup terminal screen. Select install from pre mounted directory and enter the mount point/slackware64. This will install the 14.2 files.

When you have completed the installation exit setup but choose no on reboot, you will drop back to the cli.

At this point there are still a few things to do if you want the machine to boot.

Mount /dev /sys/ and /proc to /mnt using the mount -o bind commands
Code:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
Chroot to /mnt
Code:
chroot /mnt bin/bash
Insert and mount the third thumb drive containing the patches and kernel files.

Change to the patches directory and install everything there using
Code:
upgradepkg --install-new *.txz
Once that finishes cd .. and install the kernel, modules, and firmware from -current.

If you're like me, elilo likely didn't do a very good job during installation due to the older software so go ahead and delete the Slackware entry on your efi partition and then run eliloconfig to create a fresh one (unless you've chosen to use grub as I did in which case go ahead and install that --I recommend using the one from -current).

As I said, there is probably a more streamlined way to accomplish this, but this worked for me and 14.2 boots and runs perfectly on my new machine (I did go ahead and build a 5.2.14 kernel afterwards).

Last edited by masonm; 09-12-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Firerat

Distribution: Debian sid

Rep: Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635
or
use a -current usbthumb.img and point to a 14.2 http/ftp/nfs/hddpartition

Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
hitest
Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118Reputation: 2118
Interesting set-up! With newer hardware I install Sllackware64-current.
I'm running 6 desktops/laptops with -current. I'll be transitioning several of them to 15.0 when released.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
masonm

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerat View Post
or
use a -current usbthumb.img and point to a 14.2 http/ftp/nfs/hddpartition
That works too. This is just how I went about it as I already had the downloaded iso images to work with.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
masonm

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Interesting set-up! With newer hardware I install Sllackware64-current.
I'm running 6 desktops/laptops with -current. I'll be transitioning several of them to 15.0 when released.
Cool. I'm looking forward to 15 being released. I always prefer running the stable version.

2 members found this post helpful.